cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send SMS to short code number

andykb3
Investigator
Investigator

I'm trying to send a message to a short code number (83070 - it's a competition line) but it doesn't send - any ideas what might be the cause?

I am aware there is a charge to send to these numbers (, but I have sent to this number before without issue (same phone and contract), and I don't have a spending cap in place

Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ with the latest software

21 REPLIES 21
Chris_B
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@andykb3  Log into the my EE app and make sure premium rate numbers is enabled you’ll find this under Settings/Restrictions it’s titled call abroad and premium rate numbers. 

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@andykb3 : Are you on contract or PAYG?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Contract.  And it's all paid and up to date. 

I've checked my account on the ee portal and can't see any reason for the issue. 

Premium rate numbers are allowed in the portal (its set to full access) 

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @andyk3

Could you try disabling and re-enabling premium calls in your My EE account please?

Chris

Actually, I' not sure it's an EE issue.

On a hunch I decided to send a message to a different short code (also premium rate), and it worked, so maybe it's an issue with the specific short code.

That said, I can't find any reference to anyone else having the same issue with 83070.  I have also tried reformatting the message in case that was causing an issue, but nothing has worked so far.  It's a competition line, so the format etc of the text are both innocuous and pretty standard anyway.

I also successfully entered the competition in previous months without issue (same number, but different answers, obviously).

However, I have just disabled premium numbers on my account, and will re-enable tomorrow to see if it does help.

Thanks

Andy

Christopher_G

Thanks for the update, @andykb3

Keep us posted on what happens.

Chris

musiclover
Explorer

Was this ever resolved? I ask as I was having the same issue as you for the last Empire magazine competition and continue to do so. Just wondered if you had an answer! lol

Leanne_T

Morning @musiclover

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Do you have a pay as you go or pay monthly account? 

Speak soon 🙂

Leanne.