cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls and texts barred abroad

aingham69
Explorer

Hello,

I'm currently abroad. I have been for some time and used to be able to make calls and send text messages. I made sure that was set up before I left as I need to keep my number.

For the last month or so, I haven't been able to send messages or make calls while abroad. Not sure why this has suddenly happened.

I've checked my account after reading through messages here but don't have an option to check whether I can make premium calls or not. The options just aren't on the account to make it possible again. I've waited for the live chat option but that's not coming up. Obviously, I can't call EE support from abroad because calls are now barred somehow.

Any help would be appreciated. As I said, I need to keep this number but I can't keep it if I can't send text messages to keep my number active!

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hello @aingham69 

Are you on PAYG or pay-monthly?

If you're on pay-monthly, then the options for enabling international roaming are within your myEE online account/

If you're on PAYG, the most common explanation for this is your SIM having been hibernated due to non-usage - if so, take a read of this EE help article which explains the policy and how to resolve it.

Hi, I'm PAYG, but the number shouldn't be in hibernation. There's still a credit on my account and I used it to send a chargeable text message in June 2021. That's the last time I was able to send a text message. Trying again now as I try to send a message every 60-90 days to avoid the hibernation problem.

I'd prefer a way to get in touch with support via live chat but that option isn't available on my account right now.

There is no live-chat for PAYG users.

Have you tried restarting your phone, to reconnect to another local network?

What happens when you try to send a text message or make a call?

Well, that's a bad system. Now I have no way of contacting EE because I can't make a phone call from this number. How does that make any sense?

Yes, tried all that. It's something that's happened within the phone. Something has clearly happened in the last two months at EE that's change the account without any warning.

When I send a text, it just says "message failed" When I try to call, it says I'm unable to make calls from abroad.

Again, none of this was an issue two months ago. It's happened sometime within the last two months. I can still receive messages but not send them.

If it wasn't for having the number connected to a few things that require access codes, I'd just let the number expire. Until that happens, I'm stuck with EE.

It can often be useful to have access to another phone for situations such as this.

Alternatively, if you have access to a web-calling app such as Skype, you can try calling on +44 800 0798586