WiFi calling

laptopbabe
Explorer

I have always had WiFi calling on my iPhone 8 till a few weeks ago when it disappeared. When I get to my mums and join her network it comes up. Best in mind hers is a lousy no fibre and mine is virgin at over 110mps. The phone signal  at her house is better then mine so surely my phone should be using WiFi at my house and not hers. I have tried turning it off and on again. Can someone help with this?

5 REPLIES 5
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @laptopbabe and welcome to the EE community

There's 2 factors that have an impact on when your phone can use WiFi-calling.

1: With the exception of some very recent Android releases, phones are set to "mobile preferred", in other words WiFi-calling will only kick in when 4G-mobile coverage is deemed insufficient.

2: The WiFi/broadband network to which you're connected, needs to be of sufficient quality.

If both of these conditions are satisfied, there's no reason your phone shouldn't use WiFi-calling. Have you tried toggling flight mode, your phone & the WiFi calling options all off/on in the location you're having problems?

laptopbabe
Explorer

Hi

i have tried all tips to get WiFi calling to show up. I do not get 4g at my house although further down my street it may be possible. Anyway it was always on my phone up to a while ago so why isn’t it now? My phone signal is not always good enough and my WiFi is top spec so i want to use that as I always have done. It works fine when I go to my mums house and join her WiFi. Please can someone help? 

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @laptopbabe.

Have you tried completely disconnecting from your broadband, and setting it up again as a new connection?

Jon

lexushall1991
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello @laptopbabe,

Not sure if it's the same with iPhone but have you tried changing the call preferences to Wi-Fi Preferred once Wi-Fi Calling has been enabled? You should start seeing a phone icon accompanied by a Wi-Fi symbol once Wi-Fi Preferred is selected.

Hope this helps.

It's usually preferable to leave the "mobile preferred" option as-is, if possible. That way, WiFi-calling will only be used as intended, when there's no 4G mobile coverage available.

There are some circumstances where WiFi-preferred can be beneficial, but suggesting it as a blanket rule isn't ideal.