cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EE MOBILE coverage in Ilford London OK?

treez
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi,
I just bought a TT150 phone by TTFone, (bar-of-soap phone) and have only used it with my new EE mobile contract (which is lumped in with
my EE broadband router.)
The reception is often very poor when i am in Ilford in London.
It may be elsewhere but i dont really use it too much outside Ilford.

Sometimes the phone recpetion is good though, even in Ilford. When its bad, its usually
when recruitment consultants call me, and i wonder if its because they are using those hands free units,
which are known to be noisy.
Anyway, may i ask if there is any problem with EE coverage in Ilford London?

I used to be on 02 pay-as-you-go with a different phone and the reception was ok then.

So how do you know if its the phone, the radio coverage, or the caller's phone or
caller's radio coverage?

I bought the TTfone from Amazon, and i wonder if i go to an actual EE shop i will get to buy  a
good phone? I only use "bar-of-soap" phones as i cant view datasheets on smartphones anyway
so theres no point having one...i can just use my laptop (which i always carry with me)
when i need "processing ability "

7 REPLIES 7
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Does the coverage broadly match the predictions on the "check coverage" tab of https://coverage.ee.co.uk/coverage/ee ?

Good tests of where the issue lies are... does the same hardware (be it phone, or router) work OK in other locations? If the caller's coverage was the issue, it will affect all calls to or from that particular person, when they are in any affected location.

I'm not familiar with the TT150, but a quick Google search suggests it has VoLTE support. Are there any onscreen indications as to whether you are using 2G or 4G? Call quality should certainly be improved by a modern VoLTE-device, if you are using 2G. VoLTE is the technology underpinning 4G-calling.

treez
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks but no, there's no way to know if the TT150 phone is using 2G or 4G. It doesnt say on the screen, or in the phone settings.

Thanks, i suspect 2G is worse than 4G...i wonder if thats the problem. How do you know if your phone has 2G or 4G?AlSo, do you know how to buy a phone that is 4G?..The adverts dont tell you. I think they are shutting 2G off soon.

This phone, for example, doesnt say 2G or 4G?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3283343?clickSR=slp:term:mobile%20phone:3:383:1

Its affecting me now as i need the phone to get work.

_________________________________________---_____________________

Actually, the below shows that TT150 is a 2G phone.....that surely must be the problem..?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TTfone-TT150-Unlocked-Bluetooth-Battery/dp/B0CG6J1782

...i am surprised such things are still sold?...i only bought it a few weeks ago. But then again, 2G transmitters arent getting de-installed?

___----_____________________________

..But maybe its because i live in London and mobile coverage is poor in London?....(due to the sheer quantity of people on their phones all the time)

https://www.standard.co.uk/homesandproperty/property-news/londoners-suffer-the-worst-mobile-phone-re...

__---________-

This phone says its "crisper and clearer" because of being 4G

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3100660?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=... 

treez
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Also, i am going to have to buy a new dumbphone just in case that improves the reception.

But before i do that, i will try my EE SIM in my old smartphone, which is now not_connected, but used to be on pay as you go with 02 many years ago. Is that OK to do that?....will my EE SIM from my dumbphone be ok to put in my old smart phone?. I mean the smart  phone may be locked to 02, but its gotta be worth a try?...because the reception may be better with the different phone (i dont need my phone to be SMART, but if it gets better reception, then i'm up for it, because at the moment, i am loosing jobs because i can't hear clients on the phone.)

I am presuming that because my SMART phone hasnt been used for years, it wont be locked any more?

bristolian
Legend
Legend

I'd already briefly checked the spec sheet before replying previously, which confirmed VoLTE support was present - meaning it's a 2G device. There's no obvious reference in the manual to checking VoLTE status, so this would require access to the phone's menus.

2G switchoff is ~10 years in the future, and new 2G equipment is still being installed. 3G switchoff is now complete. London is a very large city, high usage does not cause the symptoms you describe.

The checks I otherwise outlined previously, would be my next steps. Otherwise you are overcomplicating the issue.

treez
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks, today i was speaking to recruitment consultants all day on the phone from my flat in Ilford , London. In the morning, the reception was  far better quality than in the afternoon. I wonder why this is?

treez
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi,

Ive just bought a new dumbphone, (Alcatel 2057D)  to see if its reception is better than the TT150 dumbphone,  which uses a Standard SIM size. Do you think EE will be able to send me a Nano SIM card , since the Alcatel 2057D uses a Nano SIM?

I lost contact with an employer yesterday, and had to do something.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Morning @treez 

Thanks for coming back to the community. 

Please see our How Do I Swap My SIM or Get a New SIM?, for ways you can order a replacement SIM card for your new phone 🙂

Leanne.