Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use only Edge signal

AntBull1
Investigator
Investigator

Hello, 

Will seem like a very opposite post compared to other questions. I’ll explain first. In our work building, we have very poor 4G or 5G signal, meaning phonecalls are impossible. Wi-Fi calling was my first option but does not work very well as it’s a very busy Wi-Fi network. I have noticed though on rare occasions that when my phone drops back to EDGE signal, phone calls will work. But there is no option to turn both 4G and 5G off to get a better reception for a phone call which is all we need. 
Seems silly that we cannot choose which internet strength we want, to help improve phone calls. 
Is there anything we can do?

Thank you, Ant

6 REPLIES 6
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @AntBull1 

Welcome to the community.

I'm not aware of a way to turn 4G and 5G off on an iPhone. Do you have fixed line broadband? If you do, you may benefit from WiFi calling.
Chris

AntBull1
Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Christopher_G ,

Thank you for the swift reply.

Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, the Wi-Fi calling doesn't work well with our works Wi-Fi and consistently cuts out on phone calls.

Thank you, Ant

bristolian
Legend
Legend

If anything, you could be coming at this from the wrong angle. Disabling 4G and/or VoLTE is generally a bad idea as it unlocks access to the low-band 800Mhz service where available.

With 5G largely deployed in NSA-mode, 4G1800 is generally deployed at slightly lower power-levels than 2G1800 to ensure reliable CSFB for non-VoLTE phones. It sounds like you are on cell-edge for 4G1800, it would be interesting to know the RSRP/RSRQ/SNR values - as I suspect your coverage is similar to mine.

In other words - contrary to popular opinion it's not the "G" or technology that dictates coverage patterns, it's the frequency and power-levels. Android phones tend to have the option of 2G-only, 3G-only, 2G/3G or auto - in experience of the devices I've used.

@AntBull1  On an iPhone you can just select 4G or 5G Auto or 5G On. With the last two options itll use 5G.  The device will explain what on and auto means.    To access this it’s Setting>Mobile Services>Mobile Data Options>Voice & Data.   

You could try turning off cellular data within the control centre.  This might help but obviously you’ll not be able to use any app that requires data.   Ie what’s app, emails, YouTube.  

On older iPhones you could turn off 3G or 4G, but obviously internet is taken as priority nowadays over standard cellular phone calls.

Hi, 

All the above had already been tried. Turning off cellular doesn't force the phone to  4 bars of EDGE signal, It stays with the 1 bar of 4G. Signal strength is all you need to have a normal phone call conversation and that's all we need, technology in this individual case, has unfortunately gone backwards, in favor of a low internet signal.

Thank you for replying