cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Plans are not truly unlimited

dley19
Investigator
Investigator

I was sold an "Unlimited" Plan with no restrictions whatsoever.

Suddenly, I have reached a never-hear-of-this-before cap and moved to a slower speed as a penalty. What?

This "tethering limit" was never explained to me by the agent when I was making the purchase. Even more irritating is the fact that I asked twice this person if the monthly plan was truly unlimited, including the personal hotspot allowance. Yes, that was the answer I got.

There are no words to demonstrate the disappointment and frustration this issue is causing me.

If I had known about this limit from the beginning, I would not have acquired the mentioned plan.

Anybody facing the same problem? 

17 REPLIES 17
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @dley19 ,

What was the reason given for EE doing this?

Did they say that you have used in excess of 500 GB or 600 GB in a single month and then quoted the fair usage policy?

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
eegps
Contributor
Contributor

Had my  speeds reduced due to traffic management when i hit 500GB download last month. Since this months data refresh back to full download speed.

Anyway here are the T&C

https://ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-help/help-pdfs/EE-Price-Guides/ee-monthly-price-plans-02092020.pdf

UNLIMITED PLANS
50GB fair use policy applies outside UK. Personal, non-commercial use only. If you regularly tether 12 or more devices, we will consider this non-personal use and have the right to move you to a more suitable plan.

We will consider usage above 600GB/month to be non-personal use and have the right to apply traffic management controls
to deprioritise your mobile traffic during busy periods or to move you to a business plan. You can gift up to 100GB.
Data usage on an unlimited plan will decrement from giftable allowance. Any data boost allowance will be added to
the giftable allowance.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Read the T&C's. It's all there.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Why should I have to read the terms and conditions when the sales advisor had told me already that there are no restrictions?

I even asked him twice!

Should I not believe what they have been trained to say and sell?  What kind of company is this? What sort of customer service are they giving?

Cuz when you buy you agree that you accept the T&C's, whether you bothered to read them or not.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

If I must do that, then the company should not have sales advisors. Very simple.

Otherwise, it falls under false advertisement and mis-selling.

You cannot sell something verbally and have a different terms and conditions on paper. It is simply not right. 

An unlimited plan should not have limitations. It is very simple as this. 

I asked twice about this requirement as it was a deal-breaker. The answer from the agent was always YES. The hotspot/tethering is unlimited -which we all know now is not true.

Also, there was no mention of any usage above 500/600GB. Nothing about extra devices or traffic control punishments, like changing the speed.

Hi @dley19 ,

I think to a large extent, most of us have sympathy with your concerns that you do not want to spend a large part of your day reading paperwork, sales advisers should give accurate information and should point out key aspects important to customers and point customers to the terms and conditions where this is warranted. Most of us would also agree that plans should be accurately marketed and "Up to 600 GB" or "Large Data Plan" may be more accurate.

In spite of this, nothing in this thread changes your commercial or legal situation as regards the contract for service.

If you feeling aggrieved by the situation, you could raise a complaint and take it up as a possible example of mis-selling.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/safety-and-security/protecting-your-information/complaints-code-of-pr...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/complaints/complain-about-phones-or-internet-services/the-way-a-service-was...

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

It's called "Research before you buy"!