cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Mystery excessive data usage

Evans521
Investigator
Investigator

I've just discovered I'm supposed to have used 19.9GB in 7days. Impossible as it's been Christmas and I've been at home so if I've been on my phone it's via wifi. I messaged and the lady said Yahoo and The Telegraph are amongst the main days users. I told her I use neither and don't have those apps on my phone.Dhe just said 'thats what's showing,'

How do I prove this? I've not long changed to ee from BT and all the years with them never had any trouble or used this amount of data.

It has to be ee fault and if I can't sort it then I'll have to go to the ombudsman because I'm not buying more data,if that's what they're trying to make us do, and no way will I stay with EE if this is what happens.

Has anyone got to the bottom of this or do we just ignore the issue?

5 REPLIES 5
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Evans521 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

What device are you using? 

Has the WiFi disconnected at anytime since you have been at home and your data has been used? 

Leanne. 

Hi, I'm using OnePlus 6T. I've had it since 2018 and never had this problem with BT. My internet hasn't been disconnected since I've been with EE and certainly not in the 7 days of this supposed data use.It was Christmas so I was almost constantly at home using WiFi. What worries me is that I was told Yahoo and The Telegraph are using a lot of data when I have neither on my phone and don't use them. I'm with AOL and so why on earth would I use yahoo and certainly don't have any newspapers on my phone.This must be a fault in the system.3 months with EE and nothing but trouble.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

I am sorry to hear this @Evans521 

To get the data usage investigated please call us on 150, our tech guides will be happy to help. 

Leanne.

Will do this today.

Evans521
Investigator
Investigator

I phoned Technical Support next day who said I wasn't alone and that she was dealing with lots of customers with this problem of impossibly high data usage.In a matter of seconds she'd got up my details and said that I'd used nothing like that amount and in fact, instead of using 19.9 GB I'd used only 10MB!!! She apologised to me for the chat support giving me wrong information and said she would refresh my account and add on unlimited data for a month to make sure it would be sorted. I didn't ask her how it was possible that this could happen and how did the online chat person claim she looked at my data usage and a lot of it was from Two apps that I didn't have as I was so relieved to get it sorted . If this happens to you write down as much info and data as you can ( iwrote down the 6 months if usage I'd had with BT) so you're prepared to set out your case clearly and in a way that it's going to be hard to argue with you and then phone Technical Support.Dont bother with the online chat. If you don't get anywhere get Ofcom involved because there's something amiss at EE.