Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone says 4G signal but speed test reveals 3Mb download speed

ThePath
Investigator
Investigator

Hi all,

New to EE. I have 2 sims, one in a mobile router, works great. Another in my phone. I've noticed my phone's speed on the Internet is painful despite it saying I have 4G. When I did a speed test using ookla it said I had 3Mb download speed.

Any ideas on whats happening. I have unlimited data and would expect much higher speeds than this even if capped!

Any thoughts much appreciated 🙏 

8 REPLIES 8
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@ThePath   Do you have apps running in the background on your device?  Have you tried restarting the device?  

GBoydRatcliff
Investigator
Investigator

I find my mobile (mifi) device is usually significantly slower than the phone (the phones have such amazing data handling and processing power). However, while roaming in France I often find my data has dropped to 2-3mb/s and a restart of the phone sorts it. Not sure why, but it happens every few days

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @GBoydRatcliff.

What phone are you using, and what mobile WiFi device do you have?

Are you travelling around France or staying in one place?

Jon

I'm using an iPhone 12 (OS 15.6.1) and various LTE routers - a Huawei b535 at my house, and a GL iNet GL-X750 (Spitz) which is in my van. I previously had a Teltonika RUT955 as a mobile router but it was consistently slow!!
I tend to be in one place in France (have a house here), but do move around quite a bit too.
I have noticed that I now never get over about 20mb/s - so assume EE (or their roaming agreements) are throttling the connection. Previously I would regularly get 50-100mb/s

Nothing out of the ordinary and yes I did a restart.

I'm getting 60Mb on my netgear m2100, so no issues with that

ThePath
Investigator
Investigator

This seems to have resolved itself. Doing the same speedtest now and it's 50Mb, I can only assume that work on the signal towers was happening around me. Still getting awful upload speeds though.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @ThePath

Do we have any reported known issues for the area on our EE Coverage & Network Status Checker

If nothing is showing you can report this and be kept up to date by email or text, by our network team.

Leanne.