cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military personnel in the Falkland Islands

rachedw
Visitor

Hi, 

My husband is shortly deploying to the Falkland Islands for six months and I just wondered if anybody can clarify roaming etc. Will he be able to imessage/whatsapp/facetime without charge or will he need to pay extra? 

Thanks in advance 

3 REPLIES 3
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @rachedw

Welcome to the community.

If you pop your husband's plan information into our Roaming Tool, it will tell you the cost of each service in Falkland Islands.

If he can manage to get WiFi, he would be able to use iMessage, Whatsapp and Facetime through that without incurring costs.

Chris

Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@rachedw   It’s not cheap at all to use a mobile while at the Falkland Islands.  That’s calls out and receiving and text out and data usage and the tariff allowance will not cover this usage. 

My brother did 3 tours of the Falklands  and I told him not to bother having roaming enabled and just use Wi-Fi at all times.      The 3 services you have mentioned all work perfectly over a Wi-Fi connection so that’s the best way to remain in contact.    In fact put the phone in to airplane mode and then just enable Wi-Fi on the device for the 6 months while there. 

you can request EE to freeze your payments for that 6 months EE allow this for military personnel on deployment.   No point in paying for something you can not use.    Please see THIS 

Edit.   This is now 12 months not 6 months as I mentioned above.