cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU data roaming unavailable

Catwater
Investigator
Investigator

I have a new IPhone 13 with EE, with EU roaming included in the contract. 4G works fine in uk but does not appear on my phone anywhere in EU, I have been to Spain and now in Germany. I can make calls and non-data texts, and haven’t been charged for doing so, But I nearly missed a flight as I needed to access some information online in airport, with minutes until check-in closed…very stressful not having data!

I have called 150 technical support and followed all instructions about resetting network settings, switching phone on/ off etc, Nothing changes. Is there some systemic problem with EE providing data in EU? Where do I go for help next? My contract is basically invalid.

Thank you in advance for advice

18 REPLIES 18

Hi,

im in tenerife and seem to be having the same problem. I’ve tried all the suggestions above is there anyway you can help. 
Thanks 

Hi Shauna,

I have almost resolved my problem hopefully! The community support team put me through to billing in the end, there was an issue with the type of contract I had been given. So maybe that could be your problem too?
Now that the EE default position is to charge everybody for using their phone in the EU it seems getting roaming included is a very difficult thing indeed, their systems are not set up to allow it. 

I have yet to try my phone again in the EU so am not 100% sure it is fixed,  I really hope so or I seriously regret renewing with EE

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @Shauna_cottle.

Welcome to the community.

Is data roaming enabled on your phone?

Can you see if roaming is enabled in your My EE Account?

Jon

_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

The screenshots you've shared show you have 'mobile data' switched on but don't confirm if you have data roaming. 

From the page on your screenshot, click on the line and another menu will open up. You'll see Data Roaming towards the bottom. Ensure it's toggled on. 

Reason I say that is if roaming was blocked at the network level, it'd usually mean you'd get no connection at all. However you've said that calls and texts are working fine. 

Data Roaming will be toggled off as the default option on an iPhone so you'll have had to go in at some point in the past to turn it on.

I did check this on advice of tech support at EE (ring 150 from anywhere). I’ll show screenshots of how to do this because it’s not obvious on iPhone!

71454602-4DFE-4A1D-9A3A-EF4B3431CC73.jpegC4815721-E85B-48A7-B58E-1805E0423773.jpeg

_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Hey @Catwater 

Thanks for sharing. That's exactly what I was referring too. 

So the setting is set to ON. Was it on whilst you were away as well (assume you're back now as this has been going on a while?)

Assuming it was, then genuine head scratch moment from me 👍

Back in Germany, and 4g has appeared on my iPhone so it was a billing issue not phone problem. 

Probably worthy of a whole different thread- I renewed with EE on the explicit proviso that I had free EU roaming included as I work in Europe up to 20 days a month. I had my pac code ready to switch to O2 which is still free roaming. The agent said yes, EU roaming included so I signed on the dotted line. However, he had basically lied and I was put on an EE essentials plan which does not include EU roaming.
Customer service have sorted it now but it caused me 3 weeks of hassle and numerous phone calls to tech support. I am most unimpressed with EE atm.

_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor
Understand your frustration. It should have been obvious when you first raised this.

Strange though your calls and texts had worked on a tariff that had no roaming. The fact it was only impacting your data was the thought process behind data roaming being switched off.

Glad you’re sorted though 👍🏽

Sent from my iPhone