Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE 4G Unlimited Data Sim throttling throughout month

Danaphoria
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Good morning,

I have an EE 4G Unlimited Sim which is in a TP-Link MR600 V2. Over the past couple of months, I've observed that the sim data speed DRASTICALLY slows down at some point during the month. It starts off with me receiving around 85mbps down with 30mbps up, and throughout the month will reduce to around 25mbps down and 30mbps up. It's worth noting here that the RX speed reduces whilst the TX speed remains the same, which means only one of the speeds is being throttled. 

Every month, at the start (when the allowance resets) my download speed returns to 85mbps - which indicates that EE is implementing some kind of allowance before throttling my connection. When I ordered the SIM, I spoke to the adviser of my intentions to use this sim for video work and how much data I intended to use - I wanted to make sure there was no bandwidth cap, which I was assured there was not. This lead me to believe I would be receiving the top speed available at all times.

My phone is also on EE and using 4G+. As I don't use my phone plan allowance as much since I work from home, my phone consistently achieves 75mpbs+, even when my main router (with big antennas) and running on Bands 3+20 on 4G+ is struggling to achieve 30mbps. This would indicate that mast bandwidth is not struggling and instead is choosing to reduce the speed of my router. This is incredibly frustrating as since I work in a high profile video production environment, I am really dependent on network speeds for timeline-sensitive projects.

I've read a number of forum posts about speaking to the Tech Gurus but they're almost unilaterally met with the same response: that "the sim's network speed does not get throttled". Is there any way that this can be investigated or has anyone had any luck removing this restriction?

Thanks,

Dan

2 REPLIES 2
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Danaphoria 

There is no such plan as unlimited. EE definition of unlimited is 600GB. Theses are the normal terms but you should check your T&C for the exact wording:

Unlimited Data Plans
50GB fair use policy applies outside UK. Personal, non-commercial use only. If you regularly tether 12 or more
devices, we will consider this non-personal use and have the right to move you to a more suitable plan. We will
consider usage above 600GB/month to be non-personal use and have the right to apply traffic management
controls to deprioritise your mobile traffic during busy periods or to move you to a business plan. You can gift
up to 100GB. Data usage on an unlimited plan will decrement from giftable allowance. Any data boost allowance
will be added to the giftable allowance

It might also be traffic generally, but if you are using excessive data 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Some Older Unlimited Data Plans do get Speed Capped, pretty much All New UL Data Plans are also capped now.

For example, the 600 FUP Speed Cap policy Kicks In over 599Gb of usage OR Any Gifted Amount + Usage Amount = 599Gb or more.

On 5G Plans when the Speed Capped does Kick In, you will totally lose All 5G Connectivity and continue to use a further Reduced 4G Speed for your Data Usage until your next Monthly Refresh date. Whist your 5G Connection is disconnected your Phone or Device will still show you have a 5G Signal.

If you're struggling to get more than around 30mbs then it sounds like when your UL Data Plan hits the FUP Cap it is Speed Capping to the New No Frills Plan Speed of 25mbs until your refresh date.