cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox NAT problem with 5g router

Mr-G
Visitor

I can't join a party on the series x. Saying NAT on strict, connected to the ee 5g wireless router. Any ideas how to solve this

14 REPLIES 14
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Mr-G : You are finding yourself up against a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT) resulting in a double NAT, which games consoles often object to, which means you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB.

If this occurs there is nowt you can do to avoid it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
footballcrazyp_
Investigator
Investigator

Just posted this on another page.

This may help, but its not a complete Fix. Its really annoying because I just got an Xbox via EE and its pretty much unusable unless I can find a Port to use.
This is ALL on the Xbox, do not change anything on your Router.
This bit is only done once, later when I say may have to be done over and over.
Open Settings - General/Network Settings

Go to ADVANCE SETTINGS then DNS Settings (open).  Then Select MANUAL.... Set the Primary ipv4 DNS to 1.1.1.1 and Secondary IPv4 to 1.0.0.1 (other sites have different but this was from a Microsoft engineer) [Save]

Not go to Alternative MAC address and click clear. Then check NAT Type. If Moderate, your good to go. If not go to this next option.

IF Not (this is the repeated bit and is darn annoying)

Go to Advance  settings again.  Now Alternative Port Selection, then MAUAL, and select a Port from the Drop down and Continue.  Then [B] wait for it to give NAT Type. If still strict, go back to advance and do this again for a different port, you may have to do this 10-15 times until you get NAT Type : Moderate.

Once Moderate, your good for Gaming. Not the best I know, but its a work around. Next time to turn your Xbox check the NAT Type if Moderate still happy gaming, if not the back to Alternative Port until you find one. 

Good luck, happy gaming.

Just saved me sending this thing back to EE, thanks!

Hi

I’m on three 5G broadband and it’s getting poor on speed recently.  Thinking to switch to EE 5G… did this workaround above resolve your issue permanently?  Or do you have to mess around with the xbox settings every time as was mentioned as a possibility above?

Thanks 

Maybe slightly false info, I haven actually sent it back now, there’s no
way to get an open NAT type and this confuses the multiplier chat
functionality. If you’re quock you have 14 days to send back which is
unfortunately what I’ve had to do. Howvever if you don’t need multiplayer
chat and you have a 5G phone a mobile hotspot will work for certain games.
Honestly if you only bought this for streaming it’s top notch but if you’re
a gamer, avoid avoid avoid!!!!!!!

Hi sorry for late reply, It did fix the problem. I have had to do it 4 times since, but That might be me playing around with things

DeanG3107
Established Contributor
Established Contributor
  1. Download and install the VPN software on your Windows PC.

2. Connect your PS4 to your PC with the ethernet cable.

3. Open the Control Panel in Windows and navigate to the Network and Sharing Center.

4. Click on Change Adaptor Settings in the left sidebar.

5. Right-click on your VPN connection (the one installed on your PC), click Properties > Sharing.

6. Tick the box that says: Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection.

7. Locate the Home networking connection drop-down menu and select your ethernet connection.

8. Connect to the VPN server you require by using the VPN client on your PC.

9. Boot up your PS4.

On the main menu screen click on Settings > Network Settings.

10. Under Network Settings select Set up Internet Connection.

Select Use a LAN Cable when you are prompted.

11. Select Easy for the connection method and confirm Do Not Use a Proxy Server when asked.

12. Accept these settings and click Test Connection to ensure it works correctly.

13. ALSO WORKS FOR XBOX
andd360
Investigator
Investigator

I have exactly the same issue so it seems EE are not the best everywhere after all.. thanks for trying guys

DeanG3107
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Use a vpn through your pc I’ve listed how to do it above and you get Nat type 2 so ignore anyone saying you can’t do it or nothing you can do there is use a vpn and it will work 100 percent