cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Card for TP-Link TL-MR6400

PeedieLass
Explorer

Hi. I have recently bought a TP-Link 4G LTE Router and a EE 5GB data Sim card. I have successfully activated the Sim card. We can connect to the router, but there is 'no internet connection'  . Can anyone help? Have we got the wrong SIM card?

9 REPLIES 9
PeedieLass
Explorer

Hi. I have recently bought a TP-Link 4G LTE Router and a EE 5GB data Sim card. I have successfully activated the Sim card. we can connect to the router, but the router does not go online. Can anyone help? Have we got the wrong SIM card?

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@PeedieLass : Any SIM should work. 

That router is able to send SMS. What does texting AL to 150 from it fully report verbatim (it is free)?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
ch1121
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

It should work try visiting add-on.ee.co.uk to check the status of the sim card.

Your issue is either with:

1. You don't have any data allowance nor credit to buy some with.
  2. The APN/Profile settings are not suitable for EE.

I have kept that router's User Guide open in the hope that you would come back & request further "How to" details.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hello XRaySpeX. I hope you might be able to help.

I also have a TL-MR6400 4G router and would like to know if this will do what I need with an EE SIM (I have not purchased it yet). I would like to use what it calls "Virtual Servers" essentially NAT so that I can access a local computer/service (e.g. on port 80 and port 22) [local=connected to the router] externally (e.g. when I am not at home, not connected to the router, i.e. from anywhere on the internet). The router will allow this, if and only if the network (EE) allocates a public IP address to the SIM connection to EE (not necessarily static as I can always setup a dynamic dns). Do you know if EE does this? or what alternatives there are to connect to my local network from outside? I have a camera connected to the network which I use to monitor things. The camera is effectively a web server. I am also planning to use a Raspberry Pie (to which I can connect via ssh) to control some things at home remotely.

Many thanks in advance for any help. I have tried other networks eg. Smarty, Tesco but they are "virtual" and only allocate private IP addresses.

velastin
Explorer

I am new on this system and I am not sure if my reply/question to XRaySpeX got through, so here it is again just in case: 

Hello XRaySpeX. I hope you might be able to help.

I also have a TL-MR6400 4G router and would like to know if this will do what I need with an EE SIM (I have not purchased it yet). I would like to use what it calls "Virtual Servers" essentially NAT so that I can access a local computer/service (e.g. on port 80 and port 22) [local=connected to the router] externally (e.g. when I am not at home, not connected to the router, i.e. from anywhere on the internet). The router will allow this, if and only if the network (EE) allocates a public IP address to the SIM connection to EE (not necessarily static as I can always setup a dynamic dns). Do you know if EE does this? or what alternatives there are to connect to my local network from outside? I have a camera connected to the network which I use to monitor things. The camera is effectively a web server. I am also planning to use a Raspberry Pie (to which I can connect via ssh) to control some things at home remotely.

Many thanks in advance for any help. I have tried other networks eg. Smarty, Tesco but they are "virtual" and only allocate private IP addresses.

@velastin : No, you won't be able to. You will find yourself up against a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT) resulting in a double NAT, which games consoles often object to, which means you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB. 

If this occurs there is nowt you can do to avoid it. IMHO Mobile BB is not suitable for running servers.

velastin
Explorer

Many thanks for the info. It is frustrating, but such is life...

@velastin : Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & trust it is now sorted.