Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening ports on EE 5G Router 2021

jjjlm
Investigator
Investigator

Hi everyone.

We just got a EE 5G Router 2021 and were trying to configure our VPN server to work with it.

After some time checking the configs, it seems the ports are not open on the router, even if we do enable some port forward rules.

Tried to scan the WAN IP address and the only ports open are 21, 80 and 443.

This looks completely insane, as the manual downloaded from the 5G router itself mentions to use the Port forwarding functionality to: "allow external users to services inside the local network (LAN)"

Is there a way to open such ports?

BR,

j

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You are finding yourself up against a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT) & so you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You are finding yourself up against a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT) & so you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for your reply.

So this would not be the case for all 5G providers?

J

I believe it will for all mobile networks.

All UK Networks use the standard Shared IP over the Mobile Network,  if your a Business or Corporate Account holder on EE, Voda and O2 then they can offer, as an extra, Fixed IP and Other Offerings but its a totally different Tarrif, Plan and Cost over the normal. 

Things may change when the Networks go the Full 5G Standalone Tech over the current 4G/5G NSA but that's a few years away yet. 

Hi, thank you for your reply.

That's interesting, as we inquired EE to know if we could get a fixed IP address and subscribed to a Business plan. Do you have any link for any additional information about that?

Thank you,

J.

Sadly not, it's one of those talk to your EE Business Account Manager requests, I know EE have been doing Fixed IP Sim Plans for Business for a while now (not cheap though), as I have used some for Customers in a Resilience / Fall Back senorios, Mainly VoIP and Static IP Cameras in remote locations. 

Just accidentally bumped into this link:

https://shop.thetechnologydoctors.co.uk/products/unlimited-ee-5g-4g-data-sim-with-a-fixed-ip-address...

Does anyone from EE here know if a EE 5G sim data with Fixed IP is a reality?

Best regards,

J.

Actually £35 + vat isn't bad if it is a true Unlimited Data and Fixed IP Sim, a lot cheaper than the Offerings I got given a few years back.

The 5G Routers are just standard Stock items, so we'll worth doing your Homework on each one to confirm it will fulfill your needs and any additional trickery that you require of it.

Probably worth giving EE Business a call to see what can be offered directly from them. 

Sorry, I might just be very tired, but where did you got that value from?

The link I've posted seems to mention:

EE Unlimited 5G Data SIM with a Fixed Public IP Address with 5G Industrial Grade Router

Regular price £749.99

Plus monthly £190+VAT (24 month) or £175+VAT (36 month)