Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE 5G Router 2021 - Daily reboot to get good 5G connection

VDB123
Investigator
Investigator

Hi all,

I have an EE branded 5G 2021 Zyxel router with an unlimited data 5G sim running in it. The router has an external 5G/4G Bluespot Antenna connected to it which is getting a good/Excellent signal from the 5G cell tower it is pointing at. 

My issue is that overnight there seems to be activity on the 5G cells that mean I get kicked off a certain 5G cell on to another and sometimes dropped down to a 4G cell. I would expect the router to then scan constantly or very frequently for a better connection and then flip to that once available but that doesn't seem to happen. Every day I have to login and force the router to rescan for networks and then it picks up the 5G cell again. Is there anything I am doing wrong here that stopping the router being intelligent enough to do this itself? 

I did look at getting a 5G only antenna so that it ignored 4G networks when the flip flop seems to happen overnight. The problem I think I will have is that the 5G only Bluespot antenna that I was looking at https://bluespotnet.co.uk/products/bluespot-mini does not work on the bands that I think I am receiving 5G over. My cell connection is using band B3+B3 on most cases. Would this antenna not see these bands? 

Other concerns I had was whether the sim I am using has something to do with the aggression it has around looking for better networks. The sales guy from EE told me that using a 5G sim designed for a phone (not a data sim) would act the same as a Data Sim. I did ask why there's a price difference and was given an answer that I didn't "buy" but went along with it. Some clarification about this would be really helpful and whether this could be something to do with my issue? 

The other idea I have had: is there an API you can script commands to my EE router to remotely send a reset command? Any other ideas helpful?

In general I am very happy with the connection and reliability during the day, but having to do this daily task every morning is pretty frustrating.  

10 REPLIES 10
VDB123
Investigator
Investigator

@EssexBoyEE you seem really clued up on this topic...your thoughts would be really appreciated. 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

There is no real diff between phone SIMs & data SIMs except that the latter do not include calls in the plan but may include some texts. Data SIMs tend to be dearer per data simply cuz there's less call for them. You'll probably find them better value on e.g. Amazon as EE Connected Data SIMs, which EE don't sell directly.

There is no API to the router nor can it be accessed remotely.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Rob602
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Had the same issue,

Bought a 13a electronic timer, plugged into that and have it switch off for a minute at 0300.

Im fairly sure on these Zyxel 5GEE Routers you can set the Routers Admin Settings to Reboot the Router at a predetermined time everyday, have a look in the Admin Settings, it will be a quicker and better way than using a Plug Timer.

On the Sim question side, as @XRaySpeX correctly points out, there is no real difference on the Network Searching side of things between a Phone and Data Sim, however, most Mobile Sim Routers do try and hang on to a Network Cell  Connection compared to a Mobile Phone, so this really should work in your favour.

On Your 5G Only Antenna question, you are correct, the Link to the Bluespot Antenna is an 5G 3.5Ghz Antenna, so it is designed to be used on the 5G n78 Band Only (3.5Ghz), and not the 4G Bands, but as you point out, it will not cover the other 5G Bands that EE use, which is n28, n1, n3 and n7, but there is another issue, in that you need to be connected to a 4G Network Connection in order to be additional connected to 5G, in other words, on current 5G NSA Networks the Connection will be 4G Only, 4G+5G, but not 5G Only, when we get 5G SA Networks in the future, this will change.

I dont know why your having these issues on a Nightly basis, could be there are some Nightly Housekeeping Maintenance going on or something on the Mast, might be worth if this continues long term to have a Chat with EE Tech Support. 

If your losing 5G in the Evenings or early hours of the morning, it could be down to 5G Signal sleeping due to very light Data Traffic in the Area, normally this kicks back in during a Sudden or Heavy Data demand like a Speed Test or HD Video Stream,  it could also be that your losing your 4G ENDC Band for a 5G Connection, ie, your connecting to a different 4G Band that isn't configured for 5G or your moving to another 4G Mast where the Network or Signal Parameters are different or weaker. 

You mentioned that you are connecting to 4G Bands B3+B3, would be interesting to see whether these Connected B3 Band changes when the issue occurs, you could also monitor the Cell ID and see if this also changes, to find out which 5G Band you are using, this should, during a 5G Connection) appear as an nXX Band Number on the end of your Carrier Aggregation string, ie, B3+B3+n78 (or n1, n28 for example). 

Chris. 

Davemog3
Investigator
Investigator

I'm having the same issue with my Zyxel 5GEE Router, my signal is good to excellent except it doesn't drop to 4G it just looses internet altogether yet I can set the router to 4g only and it is a much more stable connection but only 25mbs speed. When I get no internet the signal still indicates good.

5G speeds are sometimes as low as 15mbs until the router is rebooted then I can get speeds over 200mbs. This is without an external antenna fitted. Very frustrating.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Davemog3,

Our Technical Support Team will be happy to take a look at this issue if you get in touch.

James

MidgeY2K
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue with my Zyxel 5GEE Router.  I don't currently have an external aerial.
My contract is up in less than a month, and I am going to look at alternatives, as I need a stable speed as I work from home.

Do EE offer an external aeriel for this Router?

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @MidgeY2K 

Thanks for coming here. 

Our Technical Support Team will be happy to take a look at this issue if you get in touch and discuss your options. 

Leanne.

No live chat, and can't call due to meetings.

My monthly cost has also gone up to £57.20

Can you give me a good reason why I shouldn't change to Three's £20 a month equivalent?