cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5gee router ping

paulthomp3
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a 5gee router recently as I thought it might give me better ping while gaming over the my iphone which I tether using 4g.

My Iphone gives me around 40-50 while gaming.

I live in the city centre and on the 5gee router I have 5g full bars showing but I am getting 60-70ms during the day and maybe 55 at it's lowest at night.

I am connected using the RJ45 but just wondered if this is normal?  I'm still on  my cooling off period so should I just continue using the phone? My download speeds are also similar although upload is better on the router but the priority was for better gaming experience online.

10 REPLIES 10
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@paulthomp3  Can you relocate the router to a different location.  It might help.   It’s probably going down at night as less people are around and using the cell tower.  

Yeah I have tried relocating router, assuming at the window is best, I have tried 3 and all  seem to be pretty much  the  same.

I purchased a 5gee router for improved latency as I was using 4g tethering on my mobile phone connected to my pc.

My latency on 5g is around 50% worse on 5g compared to 4g.

My download/upload speeds are 10% better, sometimes within margin of error but much more inconsistent on 5g.

I was told, after a call to technical support, to expect similar results from 5g compared to 4g which is slightly disingenuous considering the marketing.

If anyone is considering going for 5g at the moment to improve dl/ul speeds or latency, dont, as it isn't worth it.

paulthomp3
Contributor
Contributor

ee router.pngee ping.pngI'm trying to game at 0330 am on this new 5g router in Edinburgh city centre. Apparently 5g but 97ms ping to london servers? I'm paying £55 a month for this so could anyone tell me why its considerably worse than what i was using before, which was my 4g pay as you go iphone connected through personal hotspot.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @paulthomp3,

I'd recommend getting in touch with Customer Care so our technical support team can take a detailed look at this for you.

They'll be happy to help. 🙂

James

I have tried calling but I get no help unless it pertain's to download/upload speed. When I started using the router I was getting 50-60 ms ping up until last week and now its constantly around 100ms. I get lower ping on paris, frankfurt and stockholm. Even warsaw is similar.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @paulthomp3,

It could be that traffic has increased on your nearest server. Are you able to use the servers with lower ping?

James

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

What is your ping to www.bbc.co.uk?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I'm in Leeds having exactly the same issue here. Better ping in Paris until recently when it changed to better ping in Frankfurt and now the ping is unusable regardless of where it is.