cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GEE Super Hub - Mesh question

gregorysinclair
Investigator
Investigator

I got the 5GEE Smart 5G Hub a couple of weeks ago. 

I have  an Asus AX3000 RT-AC58U and an ASUS AIMesh extender. 

It doesn't seem possible to put the EE Hub in Modem mode and use my existing Mesh system. 

However, within the EE Router Dashboard it mentions Mesh several times. When setting up wifi there's a checkbox for "Mesh compatible settings" and when you go to the Connected Devices tab it has a whole section dedicated to "Wifi Mesh Access Points". However in the generic User Guide there is no mention of mesh at all. 

It is clear from the Dashboard that Mesh is a possibility but I have absolutely no idea which mesh devices would be the right ones to buy and how to set them up.

If Mesh were simply not an option it makes very little sense why it is mentioned in the dashboard. 

I'd be happy to sell my Asus equipment and get the compatible mesh access points if there were any information on what these might be and what brands would work and how to actually set them up. 

Any ideas? 

5 REPLIES 5
JohnnySegway
Investigator
Investigator

I am not too familiar with these but you might be better configuring your Asus AX3000 into a repeater? Connect with ethernet (more reliable). Try and use what you have 😀

Hi, I have tried that. Seemed to run into problems but I will try again. 

What's really frustrating is that there are clear references to mesh settings and mesh access points in the EE 5G hub dashboard  (if this allowed images or screenshots I could show that) but nowhere does it say what devices would work. It doesn't even seem EE know despite it being in the actual dashboard. 

I'll keep trying with current setup. It's not a massive deal. I'm in a small flat, so the extension is only needed for the kitchen. 

As I can't include images hopefully these help

https://ibb.co/2YPhqpw

https://ibb.co/6WzNcNW

Both have clear references to Mesh but no indication of what kind of mesh devices or how to set up. 

thanks 

JohnnySegway
Investigator
Investigator

okay, I think EE have restricted some of the settings, so though it looks like you can select it, it won't work. They did the same with my Huwaei thing.

it's ridiculous. If you're going to put a scaled down firmware on (for no good reason) the least you can do is remove all references to mesh networks. It's like they haven't even thought it through. 

Use the Camera icon above your text to upload an image file to here.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)