cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GEE Home Router - External Antenna, No Improvements

Aquai
Investigator
Investigator

Few months ago we got our 5GEE home router delivered and were getting fairly unstable connections with download speeds ranging from 2-40mb/s and similar for upload dependant on where in the house we located the device.

I contacted EE and they put me in touch with TSG for an external antenna install.

They came round and were surprised by the router we had but said the antenna should work anyway so carried on with the install - I never got a clear answer on whether it would pickup the 5G or not. At the end of the install they were unable to test as they didn't have the right adaptors for the antenna to the router so left and posted some out.

These arrived and I have installed but the performance with the external antenna is actually worse than with the internals...

Any suggestions on what can we do in this situation? I have been looking at the Bluespot external antenna on Amazon but not sure this will help much!

12 REPLIES 12
Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @Aquai.

Did you speak with our Tech Gurus about getting it installed originally?

They would be the best team to speak to if you're having trouble with your antenna.

Jon

Aquai
Investigator
Investigator

So spoke to the team again and they got TSG to book a return visit.

TSG turned up, confirmed the antenna was getting a strong signal but as soon as it was plugged into the router the speeds drop.

The engineer was unsure what would cause this so tried to phone his team, no response, he left, said he'd be in touch....nothing.

That was two weeks ago and I have chased three times since. What a disaster this has all been. Should have gone with Three!

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Aquai

I am sorry to hear this, have you tried calling us again to get an update? 

Leanne.

Spoke to TSG finally last night and they've said they can do more. The antenna provided by EE is the only one they have. 

Suggested it maybe an issue with the Router itself as the error is very odd. So will try speak to EE again today.

Thanks

Leanne_T

Let me know how you get on @Aquai

Leanne 🙂

Aquai
Investigator
Investigator

So I spoke to Simon today who has been helpful.

He's asked me to capture some speed test results both with and without the antenna - with 5G enabled and disabled on the router.

Will keep people updated in case others have issues.

Leanne_T

Thanks very much for the update @Aquai

Hope you get this sorted 🙂

Leanne.

EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

What type of Antenna did they fit. I'm guessing it's an Panorama, but which Model number.

How many feeder plugs on the Antenna, 2 or 4 Plugs.

Which Ports on the back of the Device did they plug into (top to bottom)

With the antenna plugged in does switching the switch Internal, External make any speed difference, also try with the Antenna unplugged.

Go to the Admin Web UI and look at the Info on Status / Internet Page, post up the Screenshot of the Page and Speed Test results for each Page (deleting any Personal info like Phone Number or IMEI), post up the page(s) with the Device using Internal and then again using External Antenna(s), note, after each Antenna Int / Ext switching, reboot the Router and wait around 5 Mins for the Router to settle down before screen shots or recording the data.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

No idea on the model - was told it was the only one EE provides for this service.

It has two male SMA feeds which have to be used with a TS9 adaptor. I have tried theee different adapters including splitting it.

They setup with the top two ports. I have also tried 1+3, 1+4, 2+3, 2+4 and 3+4. None improved performance.

Have tried flicking the switch to external / internal for all too.

Will post screenshots in coming days