cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G router will not work in 5g (SA) mode.

Skardsen
Investigator
Investigator

My 5g router has never worked in 5G mode. I was fine with using it in 4g up until now but on Final Fantasy XIV I have had to move to NA servers, so I need 5g to work as my ping is too high. If I select 5g (SA) on the router set up, the signal and internet lights on the device stay red. My phone is also on EE 5g, and it works in 5g just fine, so the issue must be the router itself. The router model is the Zyxel NR5103.

5 REPLIES 5
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

If you've set the Router Settings to 5G SA you will not pick up a 5G Signal, if the Router Mobile Network Settings are set to Auto, it may try and search a 2,3,4G Network (Emergency Network Mode) temporarily logon, Fail, then revert back to No Network, so it will probably show No Network All the time on the LED Status Panel.

5G Stand Only is not currently supported for EE Customers, you need to Access the 4G Network as a connection then any available 5G Signal Layer in the Area should be available, this is called 5G or NR NSA (Non Stand Alone).

The Router should be set to 4G/5G NSA or 5G NSA and the Mobile Network can be left, or set to Auto, then assuming all the 5G parameters are met (Plan is 5G, you are in 5G Coverage Area), then you should be able to connect to 4G+5G.

Then I'm not sure why I'm paying £60 per month for something that was advertised as 5g, and I'm in a 5g area, yet it never works properly. Setting it to 4g/5g results in an unreliable connection that just flat out doesn't work at random times throughout the day. I'm massively overpaying for 4g internet, do I have any recourse to challenge EE on this?

You should be able to get 5G, but your not getting it because you have set the router to 5G SA, which you will not pick up because it doesn't exist yet, only 4+5G NSA does.

I understood that, but I'm explaining that using 4g/5g is unreliable and will randomly stop working. Due to this, I have to keep it set to 4g.

archercj
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

The issue isnt specifically an EE one. It's across all suppliers.

At the moment the UK’s 5G networks are 5G Non-Standalone (5G NSA). That means that while they use a 5G Radio Access Network (RAN) including 5G masts and 5G frequencies, the core of the network is largely the same as it was during the days of 4G. Its a cheaper and quicker way of rolling out 5G across the country.

With 5G Standalone (5G SA) there’s a dedicated 5G core as well – in other words the whole network has been upgraded with 5G-era technology, rather than using a mix of 5G and 4G tech.

I think the next step will be to deploy the infrastructure for 5G SA but dont hold your breath. You will have to put up with 5G NSA with the distinct possibility you will see devices dropping back to 4G/4G+ espeically in areas where the signal for 5G is marginal.

They dont tell you that when you make these investments do they.