cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to retrieve an old mobile telephone number

BethanEvans2014
Explorer

Hi All,

This little damsel in distress is looking for some assistance and advice, or should I say information on retrieving an old mobile number that I once had with EE. I had this number in question approximately 8 years ago!

The number is ************* EE. I've even tried calling the number and it's currently not in use.

I have tried to contact EE, however they have informed me that I am unable to retrieve the number despite it not being in use.

However, surely there must be some way to retrieve an old number, not in use. I used to work for a property and investment company and consequently used this number on a numer of marketing campaigns, flyers, yellow letters, post cards etc.

From my understanding and providing that the number was not use and was not in a quarantine pool, a telecommunications company can reassign all numbers that originated within our company. I also believe that you can actually buy the number and could hold it.

I know every company is different but I have a feeling it's more a case of 'we can't really be bothered', or 'don't bother us with stupid requests, just take a god damn new number and let me get back to pencil pushing'.

Having spoken with customer services PayAsYouGo, I found them very unhelpful, as expected in all honesty. They simply searched the number and said I can't find it. Now, however, I'm looking for a serious answer with some possible positive outcome.

How can I retrieve this number as I have set up a new company and would like to use the the huge amount of marketing material that that was originally printed with this number on it? I don't even mind being on the EE network in order just to have it. More so, who in EE will be most likely to help and point me in the right direction.

Thank you to all in advance.

Bethan

[MOD EDIT] Please do not post personal details onto a public forum]

5 REPLIES 5
Lee_H
Legend
Legend

Hi @BethanEvans2014 and welcome to the community.

I understand your frustration with this issue.

We would be unable to retrieve this number as we do have a pay as you go hibernation policy and if a number is not used for a length of time it would be disconnected.

The number may also have been transferred to another network since you had it and no longer be active on that network, in this case we would be unable to retrieve it.

Many thanks,

Lee

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Phone EE & request buying a memorable number.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

i have tried to retrieve the number by following steps mentioned on th ee page but it gives an error saying i do not have privilege to access the data 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Vikey

Thanks for coming here. 

Is the number on pay as you go? 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne. 

Erekose_2023
Explorer

I had an issue with my mobile phone a number of years ago.

The signal quality kept getting worse, sometimes, not even receiving any signal at all.

Eventually gave up on it as a bad job, and moved onto another phone and number.

I did attempt getting an upgraded SIM with that number, but it simply would not be accepted  even in the new phone.

Ironically, the number is still the one in m,y EE account and still has some credit  in it.

Thing is, just recently tried accessing an old reward card account, but the details are for a now defunct iSP server email, and that old EE phone number, so it would have been nice to get that old number back for obvious reasoons.

As with the poster again, have tried dialling the number on odd occasions, but get a "Currently not connected to this number" message and instant hang up, so I assume that the number was also not yet been reallocated.

Would it be worth trying again to get a new SIM  replacement, or just give it up as another example of beaurocracy gone nuts?