cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Pass problems

kcrouan
Investigator
Investigator

Yesterday I purchased a Roaming Pass from EE for £25 to use during a forthcoming holiday in Ireland. I asked the EE person I spoke to to confirm the Pass by email and she wrote 

"Hi from EE,

From our call today we have applied the roam abroad pass on your line to be able to use your phone just like you would when you are in the UK. This means you have access to your data allowance, minutes to call as well as your texts. This pass is set from the 8th March til the 8th April. This means that the pass will no longer be active and you will need to reapply the pass on your account again."
However today I received the following text from EE
" Hi From EE. As you have a Spend Cap, we've now barred some chargeable  services. To increase it, you can use the EE app or reply with SPEND CAP"
I replied getting the Spend Cap removed..
I then tried to call some private numbers in Ireland but each time I received the same voice message saying "this number is barred."
I am very worried that despite buying a £25 30-day Roaming Pass, I still cannot phone Ireland. Also, although the EE salesperson told me categorically that the £25 was a one-off payment, it seems that this is a monthly addition to my mobile bill, which is completely excessive for my needs.  
Please advise. I'm at my wits end.  

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bristolian
Legend
Legend

When you are using your phone on EE's network in the UK, you are not roaming and the pass is irrelevant. Unless you want to use your phone on Irish networks, your description suggests you need a bundle that covers international calls from the UK.

The Roam Abroad pass is normally a recurring monthly add-on, it's very unusual for EE to apply it on a one-off basis.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@kcrouan  The roaming pass is for roaming not international calls and that is what you’re trying to do when in the UK.   To call international numbers on your account you need to enable call abroad and premium rate numbers.  You are charged for calling out of the uk for international numbers and the roaming pass is for roaming your not roaming in the UK. 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

When you are using your phone on EE's network in the UK, you are not roaming and the pass is irrelevant. Unless you want to use your phone on Irish networks, your description suggests you need a bundle that covers international calls from the UK.

The Roam Abroad pass is normally a recurring monthly add-on, it's very unusual for EE to apply it on a one-off basis.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Get rid of the Roam Abroad Pass by texting STOP ROAMING PASS to 150. You don't need it in Ireland & it doesn't apply when you are in UK calling Irish nos. You've been mislead.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
kcrouan
Investigator
Investigator

EE tell me that because Ireland (the Republic, that is, not the North)  is in the EU, a roaming pass is required. I wish you were right, XRaySpex, but I fear you are not. As things stand, to call Ireland from the UK I need another add-on to my mobile account, in addition to the £25 roaming pass for when I am there. EE's system is expensive, bureaucratically cumbersome (I have to cancel both at the end of the holiday) and, dare one mention it, another benefit of Brexit.

I know I am right! I fear you're still being mislead! Try reading https://ee.co.uk/help/mobile/roaming/roaming-costs/countries/ireland without any Roaming add-ons or Inclusive Extras.

Capture.JPG

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
kcrouan
Investigator
Investigator

Thank you very much for providing the reference. There it is in black and white!  I will now spend a couple of hours getting through to the right person at customer services and try to retrieve the £25.

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & hope it soon gets sorted.