cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting charged for an account that's not mine.

Spikusminimus
Investigator
Investigator

Hi there,

I'm on here as a last resort because I've just discovered that I have been paying for an EE mobile account that is not mine.  EE claim that I ordered a SIM card but I definitely did not and the number they claim it relates to has never been activated or used.  However, I was still billed monthly and have racked up over £300 charges!  The EE fraud team refuse to investigate claiming there is no fraud being committed as my name is on the account.  How can I have an EE account that I have no knowledge of and be held accountable for charges for no service requested or delivered.   If I cancel the account EE say they will go through debt recovery  - this is a nightmare and is making me ill.

9 REPLIES 9
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good afternoon @Spikusminimus

Welcome to the community. 

Is the outstanding balance due to missed monthly payments?

Was any more information provided by the fraud team?

Speak soon, 

Katie

Spikusminimus
Investigator
Investigator

Hi Katie,

The account was not set up by me although it was set up in my name.  It wasn't until last month that I discovered that I had been paying a monthly direct debit of £12.62 per month since 29/01/2021.  I stopped the direct debit with the bank and EE then threatened me with debt recovery.

The fraud team have said that there was no ID fraud but have given no further information on their investigation.

If I did not set up the account how did EE get my bank details and set up a direct debit without my authority?  Surely that's fraud!

Shane

Leanne_T

Hi @Spikusminimus 

I am very sorry to hear this has happened. 

Have you ever had an EE account? 

Was the address the SIM card was sent to your address? 

Thanks. 

Leanne.

Hi Leanne,

The only EE account we have ever had was for broadband and tv, which curiously started around the time that the mobile phone account was set up.  No mobile phone/SIM was ever requested or was it received at our address.  I am a vodaphone mobile customer and my husband is on O2 so why would I want an EE mobile?  I also know that the SIM was never activated and no calls were made from the associated mobile number.   I was informed of this when I contacted EE customer services.  EE therefore charged me for a service not requested and never received over a period of some 3 years and I would like my money back.

It looks like someone at EE created a mobile phone account in my name using the information provided for setting up the broadband/tv account.  That was done completely without my knowledge or authorisation.

KR,

Shane

Christopher_G

I'm really sorry, @Spikusminimus. I can only suggest discussing this with our Mobile Care team again. Hopefully they'll be able to help look into this further with you.

Chris

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Irrespective of the mechanics of how this came about, it's a reminder that checking bank statements on a regular basis is a very wise idea. I doubt you will find many companies who will refund 3 years of charges in the way you hope.

COCOKHAN
Investigator
Investigator

Do not lose hope, do not give up. This is classed as consumer phone fraud and identity theft. contact the UK police action fraud and report this crime. It seems to be a reoccurring problem at EE. At best it’s an inherent issue in the way they set up and manage consumer accounts, at worst it’s negligence and they are enable fraud internally. Do not give up, if you are getting nowhere with them directly take it up with ombudsman, trading standards regulators and report it to the police.  And do not take advice from people who have not experienced this with EE. This happens all the time across all companies, genuine mistakes can happen, but also thieves exist. Get advice directly from ombudsman and action fraud. do not give up because of the poor customer service from EE, if your worried about the impact from debt recoveries, let action fraud and ofcom and financial services authority guide you to best next steps. And just so you know your case is one of hundreds across the UK. The worrying thing is EE, do not seem to care. It will take a huge fine from the telecoms and financial regulators and negative press for them to wake up and start protecting their customers. DO NOT GIVE UP. do not cave in to their poorly trained staff. the right hand doesn’t know what the left is doing and their execs are woefully ignorant of what their customers are facing when things go wrong on their side. £300 is nothing to a huge multimillion corporation, they have the funds and the resources to investigate this fully and should not be hounding you. You should do a subject access request and ask them for copies of your original contract (if you don’t have it somewhere amongst your emails from 2021/in paperwork hard copy). We have to keep fighting for them to change their attitudes towards innocent consumers and you are not alone. Good luck and remember the regulator is the last resort, the buck stops with them for holding EE accountable for how it mistreats consumers. 

Yes Shane, it is fraud. report it to the police. look up ACTION FRAUD. 

All companies are responsible for keeping their consumers safe and secure, as fraud has been committed, irrespective of when it’s discovered; EE is legally and financially liable for it not the innocent consumer. And even if it was going on for 30 years they would have to put the customer back into original position and protect them going forward, to prevent it happening again.