cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free EU roaming wrongly advertised in upgrade offer

jonathanrawle
Contributor
Contributor

Today I received a message out of the blue saying EE are "refreshing" their SIM only plans, so I would be moved to a new plan at £ more than I currently pay. It had a link that gave a page to an offer with a cheaper monthly price, as long as I signed up to a 24 month contract.

As an extra bonus, the 24 month plan said it had "Free EU roaming". I have screenshots and a saved HTML page to prove it. Of course, when I chose this "upgrade", my account now shows that I have to pay £2.29 per day for EU roaming.

Surely this is a case of false advertising? Had it not said "Free EU roaming", I may well have shopped around for a deal with a different provider.

18 REPLIES 18
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@jonathanrawle    Can you post that on here ?   Please remove any personal information from it though.    
 No contract taking out after the 7 July 2021 has had free roaming. 

jonathanrawle
Contributor
Contributor

Screenshot:

EE2023.jpg

The "Default plan" underneath that I would roll onto didn't say "Free EU roaming".

@jonathanrawle   The £2.29 is now standard add on too all new contracts but if your new contract states that you get free roaming then you’ll get that even if it shows £2.29 as that’s just the default add on it doesn’t mean you’ll pay that.       Have a look at your add ons to see if there is any other add ons.    Failing that give customer services a call. 

jonathanrawle
Contributor
Contributor

The only other relevant add on is  the Free "Roam in EU" one, which on reading other posts here is something everyone has, which gives the account holder the privilege of being able to pay £2.29 per day for roaming. The "£2.29 per day" add on can't be removed.

I did read the terms and conditions before signing up. It said EU roaming cost £2.29 per day unless you have such-and-such an add on. I reasonably assumed I would have the relevant add on, given that I was initially promised it for free.

Not sure I can be bothered to speak to anyone on the phone. The chat button that supposedly appears on the contact page after a short time never does. Perhaps I should just contact the local Trading Standards department instead to complain about false advertising.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @jonathanrawle,

Please get in touch with our Customer Care team.

They'll be happy to take a look at this for you.

James

You'll only get free EU roaming if your plan includes the Roam Abroad Pass as an Inclusive Extra. If it doesn't you won't!

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@James_B this is what I see when I click through from your link to contact someone. The alleged "Start conversation" button never appears, even though it's well within the times stated (unless those are the times in the Philippines or wherever).

Message one of our experts online.

A 'Start conversation' button will appear in a few moments during opening hours

We're open 8am to 10.30pm every day.

I don't want to have to phone up. I hate having to deal with things via a call centre. That's why I posted here. It seems it's been a waste of time, though.

@XRaySpeX wrote:

You'll only get free EU roaming if your plan includes the Roam Abroad Pass as an Inclusive Extra. If it doesn't you won't!

I'm not sure I quite like the tone of your reply. "You're not getting free EU roaming so tough!" It's a pity there's no "thumbs down" button. Are you claiming it doesn't say "Free EU roaming" in the screenshot above, or are you accusing me of doctoring it?

I probably won't even travel to the EU anyway. What I don't like is that EE have falsely advertised something, and if they did so to me, they will have done to many other people. EU roaming is quite a contentious issue anyway, and EE's offer falls below that of some of their competitors, so maybe the consumer column of certain newspapers will be interested. Otherwise, Trading Standards.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @jonathanrawle

Unfortunately, we have no account access here on the community.

Are you able to try another browser or device?

I have just tested via my laptop and the start conversation option has appeared. 

Speak soon, 

Katie