cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract ended but still being charged!

shanban
Investigator
Investigator

I took out a Watch Only plan for 24 months back in 2020 for an Apple Watch. £499 watch @ £28 per month (before APR increase of 2021 then it was £30). 

The 24 months came to an end and final payment was last month (Nov 2022). 

I have received my bill for December and I’ve been charged for the Watch, even though the contract ended and the final payment was taken last month. 

I have contacted multiple people and just keep being fobbed off with ‘unless you cancel the contract, you will still be charged’. Yes - for a mobile phone or a device that you’re providing me service for, not a device only plan.. The plan was to pay for the balance of the Watch, not for it’s useage (it wasn’t being used anyway as I sold it 3 months after purchase because I found it boring). So 24 months at £30 a month more than covered the price of the £399 Watch!!!! So why would you need to continue charging me?! 

I then get told ‘you have to cancel the contract or it automatically renews’ - I was NOT, and have never been told this for a watch only / accessory plan! I wasn’t told this at purchase, it’s not in the Ts & Cs nor is it in any of the paperwork. 

What nonsense is this? I am absolutely not paying another £30 when I’ve paid almost £800 for the device but no-one I speak to seems to understand what I’m saying and just keeps telling me that they can’t help me. 

Any helpful advice? I’m sick of EE. This is on the back of them trying to charge me a random £50 extra last month for ‘additional line fees’ that turned out to be them just trying to con me out of money! 

2 REPLIES 2
bristolian
Legend
Legend

EE's T&Cs have no concept of the hardware element or paying-off a device cost.

You agreed to a pay a fixed monthly fee on a rolling basis for at least the duration of your minimum term. It's a popular misconception that the end of your minimum term is when your contract ends, all that happens at that point is that you are able to give disconnection notice without incurring early termination fees.

Unless you explicitly give 30days cancellation notice, your contract continues on the same basis as it has done for the previous 2 years.

@shanban   The watch is a cellular device that has a data connection just like a phone you are not just paying for the watch you also also paying the contract that gives you a data connection.  It’s not an accessory it’s an  additional line on your account that has a tariff attached to it for the data connection that’s what you’ve been paying for also.  To terminate the contract you give notice to terminate just like a phone contract.