cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using a EE smart hub as a wifi extender lan bridge

deb52
Explorer

Hello I have a second EE smart hub ( the black model with the EE logo in middle and the light above and below the logo). Since the wifi signal in the front bedroom is really low, was wondering how to connect the second hub upstairs using an existing lan cable already connected to main hub and using the second hub as a wifi booster but also using the lan on the second hub to connect a pc ( that is non wifi ) and a console to.

I saw instructions are already up but on the config page on hub I cannot see the settings, 2. Set Broadband Type of Secondary BB = Ethernet, under Basic Settings. CLICK SAVE.

Any help please

4 REPLIES 4
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You're reading instructions for a Brightbox router. The equivalent for the EE SH is:

• Set WAN Port = ON on Advanced / BB / Internet page.  
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
deb52
Explorer

I have it work except this part... on the main router

8 Reserve the Secondary BB's Gateway IP Addy in the DHCP of the Primary BB.
You should not need to make any other changes to the Primary BB.

How do i do this ( sorry I am not tech savvy) but I do thank you for your help

@deb52 : The equivalent of Reserving an IP on the BB is "Always use this IP" in the Advanced / Network section of the EE SH.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Photoflash100
Visitor

Hi,

Very simple...I've just done it for my main Vodafone fibre broadband router to an EE smart hub.

I have my main VF router in the lounge. I get no signal in my office downstairs so I put and new 2022 EE smart hub in my office. (Given to me)

All I had to do was run a cat 6 cable from a LAN socket on my main router to my office.

I then plugged this into LAN 1 on my EE router.

Logged in to the EE router and went to MY NETWORK - change settings (type in the password)

Click on IPv4 Configuration.

Hub gateway IP address

IP address (I then entered) 192.168.1.198

Subnet left as was 255.255.255.0

Made sure DCHP server was off.

I then got a connection.

The hub gateway IP address has to be similar to your main routers address, so if your main router is 192.168.1.1 then Set your HUB gateway IP to 192.168.1.198 (198 isn't usually used)