cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sonos and band swapping

ShaunPryszlak
Explorer

Ever since we moved to BT (now EE) from Virgin, our Sonos system has been playing up.  I have tried resetting and rebooting but when streaming 6music there are lots of random dropouts.  Reading the internet "band swapping" may be the problem, where it moves devices between 2.4 and 5G.  I have gone into the router and can't see where you set it up (fixing Sonos devices to 2.4G).  Any ideas?  I have turned off 5G for the time being to see if that makes any difference.  Not an ideal solution though.  With virgin 2.4 and 5G both had different SSIDs.

6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Which router do you have? 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

A BT Smart hub 2.

juiceof2limes
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Going back a few years before I had Fibre, I used to get dropout and ended up getting a Sonos Boost which fixed all my issues. The boost created a dedicated "Sonos Net" that the speakers all used. The Boost was connected directly to my router via cable.

Jumping forward, with Fibre,  I had the BT SH2 and now EE SH+, however I've never used the WIFI side as I have Unifi kit for my WIFI needs now and Sonos is connecting directly over WIFI with no dropouts (boost is disconnected).

My speakers do  roam from WIFI disc to another if needed but doesn't happen that often that I am aware of and I've not noticed any dropout issues.

So as mentioned above, Sonos Boost might be worth a try but I think it has been discontinued now but there are places still selling it.

bruce79
Visitor

I have a Sonos Arc based system. It has it’s own wifi network and broadcasts on channel 1. This can be seen in the network settings available via the Sonos app.

Could it be that your wifi router channel is set to the same channel as the Sonos wifi network? This might be the cause of the dropouts. 

Profile closed
Not applicable

I have a Sonos Beam and two SLs used as rear speakers, the Beam is connected by Ethernet and the SLs connect to it by Sonos Net.

The two SLs show as wired on my Hub even though they aren’t, they connect wirelessly to the Beam.

If you have more than one Sonos device then connecting one by Ethernet will mean the others will connect through it. 

It could be something to try if you are able to use an Ethernet cable for one.

HenryTudor8
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

As has been asked, do you have a Boost? I’ve just gone over to EE broadband and TV which was reasonably smooth technically (a couple of time delays). Everything seemed to work with the EE hub and Sonos Boost for the first day, and then the sub and surround speakers dropped off my Arc. I followed all the instructions on the Sonos app - three times - and it wouldn’t add the speakers that had dropped off. Sonos kept telling me to switch off the sub and the surrounds and reboot the router, nothing about the Arc. But I decided to switch the Arc off and back on … bingo, working perfectly. 
Subjectively, I think the 5.1 is much better through the EE TV box than got with the Virgin box.