cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting emails about an order i haven't made

no55
Visitor

A couple of days ago I received an email about an order for a home phone and TV package that I haven't made.

The order was apparently made in my name, but the home address mentioned in a subsequent email is not mine (I live outside the UK), nor is the bank account number referenced in the email mine.

Also, the email address that the order confirmation was sent to has a dot where mine hasn't, but the messages are still being delivered to my inbox— this is because gmail regards all addresses with the same string of letters as the same, regardless of whether they have a dot somewhere or not (e.g. email@gmail.com and e.mail@gmail.com and e.m.a.i.l@gmail.com are all regarded as the same address) 

I'm worried that if the person who made the account defaults on their payments, I'll have to deal with the fallout.

(I've been trying to reach support about this issue, but the line is always busy.)

What can I do?

1 REPLY 1
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@no55 wrote:

The order was apparently made in my name

How apparent? Was your name actually mentioned?

Most likely the person who ordered this misspelled their email addy which happens to be close to yours, e.g. c.mail@gmail.com instead of e.mail@gmail.com . If that's all that links to you, you can't be held responsible.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)