cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi cams not connecting

Buckleberry
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Not sure if this is the right place to post, so forgive me if not. I've just upgraded to EE full fibre but my wifi security cameras no longer connect to the network. I've read that I need to change my android phone back to 2.4 from 5.0 but have no idea how to. I don't want to mess up all the devices that are connected correctly but the wifi cameras go via an app on my phone to set them up. Can anyone explain in very simple steps how I can do this without renaming everything which will be a right pain if I have to. I've looked in the router settings and can see most of what's connected (some just say unknown so I've no idea what they are!) but I've no idea how to change my phone back to 2.4, and don't want to stuff if all up. Any guidance would be very gratefully received. 

Thank you. 

5 REPLIES 5
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Buckleberry  you need to log into the router via admin mode and temporary turn off 5 GHz.  

You will find on the back of the router and IP address which should be 192.168.0.1 you enter that into a web browser you then type the admin password which should be printed on the back of the router and depending  on what router you’ve got it could be Admin but if it’s a EE smart router it’ll will be unique to your device. 

Or alternatively move away from your router putting a greater distance between you and the router and your device is more likely to change the 2.4 GHz and so you haven’t got to do any of that what I wrote above.     You might find you’ll have to turn Wi-Fi off/on on your phone to force it to change. 

2.4Ghz has a longer range than 5Ghz 

Buckleberry
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you. Is it something that is clearly obvious one logged in or hidden somewhere..? Also, if I switch 5ghz back on afterwards will my phone still connect to the camera or will it have to stay on 2.4ghz. Thanks 

@Buckleberry  you see the option to turn off 5 GHz

.  You’re not connected to the camera from your phone.  You are connected to your router and that can be 2.4Ghz or 5Hhz. Your router is connected to the camera with 2.4Ghz .   

So it’s

phone 2.4 or 5Ghz > router 2.4Ghz > camera 

Buckleberry
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you, Chris. So, I need to temp disable the 5ghz, then try to connect the cameras but won't they disconnect when I switch the 5ghz back on? 

Sorry to be so thick! 

Thank you 

Buckleberry
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Rather annoyingly, the cameras still won't connect. Only when I connected one by RJ11 cable would it work. Would I need to enter the IP address on the DMZ? I have 2 cameras so don't know if I can only have one in the DMZ. 

Thanks