cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing BT Modem with a Draytek 2866 in a Bright Box 1 setup

Agent-J
Explorer

I am currently using an EE Brightbox 1 via a BT modem in bridged mode to allow access to the internet. 

I'd like to replace the BT box with the Draytek, as I would like to have an additional wired network, via the Draytek, that would be operational, and connected to the internet, even when the EE box, that i'll use just for Wifi, is switched off. The Draytek is a modem and a router. 

I'd ideally like the networks to be connected somehow so, for example, wireless printers connected via the bright box could be accessed from the wired, Draytek connected, network. 

Is there an elegant way of configuring the Draytek to allow for this so I just have the to boxes, or do I need to still use the BT modem and connect both the Brightbox and the Draytek via an additional switch to enable the setup I need?

If anyone could help it'd be appreciated. 

10 REPLIES 10
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Not sure I understand what you are trying to do. BT do not do modems, the Brightbox is a modem router, and the Draytek is an expensive way about doing things.

If the modem is an Openreach one, which model is it?

What service do you have?

The Brightbox 1 is an ADSL modem router, why use a modem? If faster speed why not use an updated EE router?

Thanks for your response.

The BT box is an Openreach. Description: NGA-ECI-CPE MODEMS TYPE 1B

In this setup it very much is a modem.

Long story but for some seemingly strange reason, this is how my internet was connected and configured. It was a new phone line, BT came first with this box to setup a DSL line, then an EE Brightbox was delivered to connect via EE with whom I have a fibre account with.

The bright box was configured to connect to the BT box via the WAN port rather than directly to the DSL line via the DSL port. The BT box acts as a bridge. 

I have often thought that the two boxes was weird, but here we are. I simply followed the instructions of the various BT and EE personal at different stages and ended up with this cocktail of tech.

Anyhow, The BT box only has one working ethernet port. I wanted a setup with more direct ethernet connections without relying on the Brightbox/wifi. being on.

I got a very good deal on the Draytek which I'm sure can handle what I'd like it to do, I'm just not sure how to configure it. 

I'd like the Draytek to do the job of being the modem, and also allow access to the internet via it's ethernet ports, routing, replacing the BT box.

I'd also like the Draytek to feed the Brightbox, via one of the ethernet ports, to allow it to be used as an optional wifi hub that I can switch off when I don't want wifi on, whist still retaining the Ethernet connections of the Draytek for other devices and switches that will remain connected at all times. 

I particularly sourced a Draytek box that doesn't have Wifi so that I could switch off all wifi easily when I'm only using ethernet connections.

At the moment all internet connections run through the Brightbox either via wifi or ethernet. I'd basically like to separate the ethernet connections and have them work independently from the Bright box which will be used purely for wifi. 

I hope that clarifies things.

OK, I understand now, and yes that should be quite easy to set up. Firstly have a look at the using your own router pages below - you will need your username and password, and also add in VLAN 101.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/broadband-and-landline/home-broadband/how-do-i-use-my-own-router-for-... 

Then follow the instructions in the thread setting a Brightbox as an WAP - it uses a BB2 as the primary, so you may need to make some adjustments as you are using a Draytek - ip address as an example.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Archived-Posts/How-do-I-connect-a-second-Bright-Box-2-to-a-first-BB2-i... 

HTH.

PS, I guess that is an old setup, before BB2's and now Smart Hub were available.

You can often get a new router when you take out a new contract, although the Brightbox does have features no longer available in the newer routers.

You must have an EE Fibre connection which is FTTC / VDSL2.

The BrightBox 1 is only an ADSL modem router & so can't do VDSL2. Therefore the OR NGA-ECI-CPE MODEMS TYPE 1B is being used as a VDSL2 modem. You may replace the OR modem with the Draytek 2866 which is a G.Fast/VDSL2 modem with no changes to the BrightBox 1 at all but it could be considered a bit of an overkill as it could do G.Fast as well.

I cannot comment on using the Draytek 2866 as a router as well but I expect you will need to set up that side of it just as the  BrightBox 1 is set up with the BB Username & pwd from the  BrightBox 1. You won't be setting it up as a WAP as suggested but as an ordinary router.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@XRaySpeX  the op wants to use the Draytek for ethernet internet connections, and the Brightbox for Wi-Fi hence setting it up as a WAP. 

Your suggestion would create two networks, potential double NAT issues and probable confusion.

They have already explained why the Draytek - got a bargain.

A double NAT arises when you have 2 routers in series. Here you have 2 routers, the BB1 & the Draytek's router, coming off the same modem, the Draytek's modem, if I understand it correctly.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

As I said, I don't believe you have understood it.

The 2866 is a very powerful router, as you say up to G Fast xDSL, and whilst it can also run as a very expensive modem mode, in this case it will run in Router mode - it does not have a separate modem.

@Mustrum : You're probably right!

The Draytek would be the main modem Ethernet router & the BB1 the WAP.

ckent2014
Investigator
Investigator

with a Draytek router make sure it has the BT patch update on it so if it's fttc or ADSL plug your phone line into wan1 then you may need to ask for your setup details from your ISP however I've seen it where they configure automatically. If it is fttp then go to wan2 on your Draytek and configure the wan2 for PPPoE and get the username and password from your ISP add it and hey bingo (don't forget to turn off wan1) 

you won't need your router your ISP supplied if it is FTTP plug the ethernet from the ONT into wan2 of Draytek and jobs good