cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New smart hub split wifi bands

huggons
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I am due to receive the EE smart (white) router in a couple of weeks, which will replace my EE smart hub 2. I read that the bands on the new smart router can't be split, however according to EE they can, just as long as the discs are not being used with the router. Can anyone clarify this please.

Cheers

26 REPLIES 26
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@huggons : You can't split the WiFi bands of the white EE Smart Router. Dunno where you read you could but either you read it wrong or what you read was incorrect.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Posted in the open:

@huggons wrote:

Hi 

Just read the thread and unless since it was written the router firmware has been updated to allow the splitting of WiFi bands, it seems that it is not possible.

I today spoke with r******.*******@ee.co.uk and he said that the bands can be split. Just wondering if you have any information to what information is correct now we are in 2022. Any help much appreciated.

Cheers Steve

I am due to receive the EE smart (white) router in a couple of weeks, which will replace my EE smart hub 2. I read that the bands on the new smart router can't be split, however according to EE they can, just as long as the discs are not being used with the router. Can anyone clarify this please

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@huggons : As I said, r******.******* was either ignorant, lying or misleading. Nowt has changed since the EE Smart Router came out.

huggons
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks. I have dropped him an email to let him know that this is not possible.

Cheers

Posted in the open:

@huggons wrote:

Thanks again. I emailed him and sent him a link to the forum. He Is still insisting that it is possible lol. I have asked him for the instructions!

huggons
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Odd, as he said...

"Do you have the new router yet? As I can split them from over at this side?"

Hi @huggons ,

Routers supplied by service providers can have remote management functionality so that's plausible with more capable devices.

This is one reason I do not buy my devices from service providers as I don't want another party having control of my gateway to the internet. 🤓

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
huggons
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks. Due to receive the smart white router tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see if the bands can be split by myself/EE. Will post an update, as hopefully it can help someone else in this position.

huggons
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Just to let you know that EE can separate the bands from their side.

Hope it helps someone