cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about SNR, line attenuation and data rates.

mrmichaelsankey
Investigator
Investigator

Ok, so after a month of hammering away to get connected, finally got Openreach to connect me up at the cabinet.

The engineer told me "you have a good signal, you could easily be in the 70/15 mbps range.....

Call EE - "we can't increase your speed, Openreach guidelines state the maximum you can get is 34/7 mbps"

I currently, after a week, have an download/upload of 30/8 mbps, downstream snr of 7.6-7.9dB, Line  attenuation of 23.4dB, power of 12.1dbm.

Been having some power issues (RCD is playing up and tripping between 2 and 5 times a day at a very low level of 7-9 milliamps instead of 25-30 milliamps earth leakage) for the last 2 weeks, should be resolved this week. I know restarts can hamper progress at getting a speed increase, but thought it worth a mention.

Thoughts? Let it roll for a while and try for a speed increase? Wait for the eventual roll out of fibre?

Any advice is appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

Losing power a few times a day for 2 weeks will play havoc with your speeds.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings > System > DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@mrmichaelsankey   your dodgy power will not be helping your broadband speeds that is for sure. 

But to start with, what is your line capable of, and what are the current sync speeds. If you enter your phone number and post the results from the BTW DSL checker that at least will give a starting position. Hide your phone number and use the address checker if you don't have a phone number.

mrmichaelsankey
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the responses.....

In reverse order:

wholesale checkerwholesale checkerRouter statsRouter stats

Please don't hate me for not using the brirghtbox, it just doesn't have the range and configurability of a DSL-AC88U.

I now, as of this morning, have a replacement RCD in our fuse box, this hopefully should give me some breathing room on the power going up and down.

I guess I just want instant results which I know I won't get in trying to get the best line speed possible.

Cheers,

Mike 

Not at all. That's an excellent modem-router.

The BT eng was talking thro' his hat when he said you'll get 70/15 Meg. The best you could expect is 47/8 Meg. As it is you are only slightly below the expected range with 30/7.8 Meg., almost certainly the result of your power supply tripping out frequently.

The DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to these errors on your line, at the top of the up to 30 Meg band of these VDSL Banded Profiles, altho' you now have no significant errors. You need to give the DLM time to relent & remove any banding. If your sync speed at the test socket remains stuck at the same speed for 10 days you should ask EE to investigate the underlying fault, altho' hopefully the new RCD should fix it within that timescale. If a fault is found and fixed then the OR engineer may request a DLM reset. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)