cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding EE Smart Hub and Sky Q box

Abrasivedjc
Visitor

Hello.

I recently changed my router from the BT Smart Hub 2  to the EE Smart Hub.

I had my Sky Q box connected via an ethernet cable for better stability. 

I'm looking for the Internal port range and external port range to configure in Hub Manager. I've already set the static IP address.  Neither EE Technical or Sky Technical have been much use in providing the required information.

The reason I'm asking is that when connected via Ethernet it looks like my Sky Q box is not getting the server updates and this causes a lock up each morning which requires a power off and power on to resolve the startup of the Sky Q box.

I proved that it's nothing related to the Sky box as I connected via Wireless and no issues in the morning, so uncertain why when via ethernet there is an issue. The only thing I can think off id the port forwarding. 

I know some might just say leave on the wireless but the pauses in apps is far greater when on wireless than on ethernet.

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

I wouldn't have thought that a Sky box would need port forwarding. That is confirmed by it working over WiFi even if it does not over Ethernet.

Even if it did need port forwarding only Sky would know what ports are concerned & you say they are unable to provide any info.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
juiceof2limes
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Agree with @XRaySpeX, you wouldn't need to setup port forwarding for a Sky Q box over Ethernet.  My Sky Q is directly connected and no issues. Under previous setup with BT and their hub, again no issues.

Could there be an issue with your cable?

pyrotenax
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

There will be no need to forward any ports on your internal LAN.

If you are setting it's IP you will need to make sure that the gateway and subnet mask are set correctly 

I e. 

IP address: 192.168.1.50

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Or..

IP address: 192.168.x.y

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.x.1

@pyrotenax : Methinks that the Gateway for an EE SH at default is 192.168.1.254. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
pyrotenax
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

yes @XRaySpeX , you could be correct, I was thinking generally from a more typical setup with the ip/gateway/subnet mask 🙂