cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build. Where do I plug in the red cable from my smart router?

Peterachel
Visitor

20230728_101448.jpg

 I can't open the openreach box ... which socket do I use!

3 REPLIES 3
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Peterachel 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Please see the How do I set up my home broadband EE router? Help page for advice on getting set up 🙂

Leanne 🙂

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Looks like the builder has fitted some sort of Ethernet switch, which is being fed by the OR ONT above. Have you tried connecting the router to 1 of its empty ports?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Peterachel   it would be worth a chat with the developers or a neighbour.

The black wire seems to be the output of the ONT and goes into your wiring, as already mentioned probably to a central point. In reality it then needs to go to the router.

I beleive your ONT is one of the Nokia ones at the bottom of this BT page, so the box should be able to be clicked open. https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/whats-an-openreach-modem-ont   

You could remove the black cable and insert the router one - but it is worth finding out where those other connections go to - ideally to a large ethernet switch so you could have ethernet in every room!

HTH