cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

36Mb broadband is running at 7Mb

uikf
Visitor

Hey everyone,

We have had EE broadband for over 10 years now and our speeds have always been in the 36Mb range but since I woke up this morning the speed is 7Mb. I logged into my bright box and it says that the downstream rate is 7.90Mb.

What's going on, some advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
Kirigaya_Kazuto
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

We don't know, we're mostly just customers here! 

If the downstream rate on the box has been changed, you'll need to contact CS, as it seems they may have invertedly changed something

@uikf  CS will not have changed anything, bit of a daft statement really, you may however have developed a fault on your line.

If you have a telephone, dial 17070 option 2, quiet line test and see if you can here any noise, if so report a phone fault.

If not, if you have not already done so, a reboot of the Brightbox may help, as would reporting a broadband fault.

The Help pages give a number of options for you to try.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/broadband-and-landline/home-broadband/how-can-i-fix-my-home-broadband... 

The downstream rate doesn't just change itself though, that's set by the ISP - If he had a faulty line, the downstream rate would still be listed as 36mbps in the router, but not running at that speed

Downstream rates that the boxes get are something the ISP can change when you upgrade/downgrade your package

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Kirigaya_Kazuto - the downstream rate absolutely can 'change itself'. It's a reflection of the negotiated sync rate between the modem in the router and the DSLAM at the customer's local cabinet. This is governed entirely by the provisioned product the customer has (which I think we can safely assume hasn't changed) and the performance of the copper loop.

If the sync rate drops, then the router should (as is the case here) reflect this.

The advice to reboot, and raise a fault is that doesn't recitfy things, is sound. 

@Kirigaya_Kazuto  you could not be wronger than a wrong person🤓

Happy to take this elsewhere as you are only confusing people on the broadband forum.

You may be getting confused by how ADSL works, but FTTC is quite different.

@Mustrum 
@bobpullen 

Oh okay, fair enough. I only know how Virgin Media do it, which is set via a config profile sent to the router by them, the only way that changes is if they do it.

I've had line faults with my Virgin Broadband before and nothing changes on the router end, when you look at the logs. I guess since Virgin don't use FTTP (at least in my area) HFC is handled differently

@Mustrum : Even ADSL acts much the same. The sync rate will vary with the NM. There is no diff in this respect between ADSL & FTTC other than the speeds.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings > System > DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.
  • For other routers: login to it according to the label on it as the admin user & navigate looking for its router/connection statistics.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Kirigaya_Kazuto wrote:

I guess since Virgin don't use FTTP (at least in my area) HFC is handled differently

Where FTTP is concerned, there isn't really any concept of a sync/downstream rate. All the router will show is the negotiated ethernet rate between its WAN port and the Openreach ONT. Assuming a suitable cable is being used, this will always report 1000mbps, even if a customer is on an e.g. 330mbps provisioned service. This is a little bit closer to what I think you're familiar with on Virgin.