cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 23 Smart hub can not connect to ee home app

Kjo73
Investigator
Investigator

Hi. I swapped from BT to EE for braodband and landline last week, this was motivated entirely by the ability to turn my children's wifi on and off.  I also have two ee mobile contracts for myself and one daughter.

The smart hub came, (New black hub with EE logo on the front) when I scanned the QR code for set up it took my straight to my ee utilities app, no broadband account registered. So I followed the paper set up instructions.  I had been dreading the switch over as have had constant problems with BT wifi and my Sky mini Q box, but no, both my Sky boxes and 3 smart tv's did not need wifi re-installed, bizarre but fine. The wifi works brilliantly and everyone is happy.  However, trawling through ee to find out how to access wifi controls I see the QR code should have taken me to the EE Home app.

After downloading the app it could not link to the hub, I followed all the help steps, no joy.  After trawling this community I reinstalled the app.  Still no joy and yes the hub has been re-started several times, wiped off devices, reinstalled.  So I called EE.  After several attempts my account was found, my iphone 14 is up to date, no vpn installed, the app does not work on any of our apple devices, so they concluded it must be because they are apple devices and not android.  I pointed out this couldn't be possible or they would have had thousands of calls by now. I am now waiting for a call back but have 8 days left of my cooling off period before I am stuck with this for 24 months.

Any ideas gratefully received.

54 REPLIES 54
wgwright
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Yet it works fine on both my iPhone 15 pro max and my iPad pro? Very strange.

@Eddy2760 : Samsung Galaxy S8.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Eddy2760
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@Kjo73@XRaySpeX@wgwright 

it’s a strange one ain’t it… even the TMC guy was stumped 🤔 I might even ask to see if they can change the hub itself, maybe it is to bugged to work properly… or there is a data issue their end against my account 🤷‍♂️ now EE and BT have joined together and system’s combined, maybe it’s joined my old BT account that was closed many years ago 🤷‍♂️ 

Eddy

@Eddy2760 : I've found the SH+ so unreliable in connecting my smart devices that I've taken it off BB & reverted to my previous reliable router & the problems with smart devices has gone way.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
wgwright
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I've got the Smarthub plus connected to both phones and Samsung phones, iPad and Samsung tablet, Google Nest Hub and also printers all over WiFi with no problems. Also got 3 devices connected via ethernet 

wgwright
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Just a quick question. When you set up your new Smarthub plus in the first place using the App did you get a message that the Hub needed to update first and that this would take between 20mins and an hour?

Eddy2760
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Connections to devices are fine 👌 just can’t access the WiFi controls or go to the manage section on the app. 
I just added the Ee app to my daughters iPad that it’s never been on and same there, “you are not allowed to view manage right now” pure strange. 

@XRaySpeX 

I finally got my extenders working by first wiring them upto the main hub until they connect and then moved them to the location I needed them 👌 so far they are working 👌 it’s strange yours is failing all together though 🤯

Eddy
Eddy2760
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

I couldn’t use the app to set up the hub, it said the same so had to set it up without the app

Eddy

@Eddy2760 : Did I say I couldn't get my Smart WiFi working? That was how I immediately got it paired to the SH+ & subsequently when it disappeared from the Hub & I couldn't get it back by WPS methods I brought it back to the Hub on Ethernet & re-paired them.

No, it's my smart things that I had trouble with.

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Kjo73 wrote:

The smart hub came, (New black hub with EE logo on the front) when I scanned the QR code for set up it took my straight to my ee utilities app, no broadband account registered. So I followed the paper set up instructions.  I had been dreading the switch over as have had constant problems with BT wifi and my Sky mini Q box, but no, both my Sky boxes and 3 smart tv's did not need wifi re-installed, bizarre but fine. The wifi works brilliantly and everyone is happy.  However, trawling through ee to find out how to access wifi controls I see the QR code should have taken me to the EE Home app.

I don't think this is correct (bold).

Which app are you trying to use and what hub do you have (check the label on the underside)? It sounds to me like you might be trying to use the wrong app. The main EE app has a WiFi Controls area somewhere; have you tried navigating to that?