cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to EE from BT - Keep using BT Hub?

StuMcBill1
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I have just confirmed my move from BT to EE FTTP (was planning on just extending my BT contract, but guess they are merging now).  I have my existing BT Smart Hub 2 setup as a modem only (handling PPPoE authentication), with my Eero 5 (NOT PPPoE compatible) taking care of the router side of things.

I was hoping I could set the EE Smart Hub Plus up in the same mode, but it appears that this is not possible from what I have read on this forum.

Is it possible to just keep using my BT Hub in its place until I get an Eero 6 Pro which will handle PPPoE authentication, meaning I can get rid of the hub completely and connect the Eero directly to the ONT?

Thanks

Stu

4 REPLIES 4
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, it should work as EE now uses the standard BT creds as its BB creds. 

The BT SH2 will not be acting as a modem since the ONT is the modem. Perhaps you just mean pass-thro'?

Why don't you think the EE SH+ won't cut it? Modem-only mode, which it can't do, is not needed.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Yeah, I probably do mean pass through, if I remember correctly, the BT Hub is just handling the PPPoE authentication (WiFi off) with the Eero in the DMZ, allowing it access through.  If I could setup the EE Hub in the same way, I'd be happy.

What do you mean by the EE Hub not cutting it?  In terms of coverage?  I did have a few dead spots in my house with the BT Smart Hub, so I have various Eeros dotted about the house.

I'll happily give the EE Smart Hub a shot, but its just overall easier keeping the same WiFi Login details (although I guess I could set the EE Hub to the same SSID and Password and everything should connect as it would normally).

Can I set a custom DNS on the EE Hub?  I currently have a Pi-Hole Ad-blocker running on my network, again through Eero.

1. Why does the Eero need to be in the DMZ? Isn't it just a router?
  2. Cuz you said "it appears that this is not possible from what I have read on this forum".
  3. Yes, as long as your router has only 1 SSID. The SH+ can't split WiFi bands.
  4. No, you can't have a custom DNS on the SH+.
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
  1. Why does the Eero need to be in the DMZ? Isn't it just a router?  Yes, I can't remember why I had this in the DMZ, but I recall previously that a guide I read stated that this was required.  I've had this setup for over 3 years! 😄
  2. Cuz you said "it appears that this is not possible from what I have read on this forum".  What I meant here was that I couldn't set the EE Smart Hub in the same configuration that I had my BT Hub - it appears that I was mistakenly saying Modem Mode, when I should have said bridge mode?
  3. Yes, as long as your router has only 1 SSID. The SH+ can't split WiFi bands.  I only have one band on my Eero so this shouldn't be a problem.
  4. No, you can't have a custom DNS on the SH+. Ah, I'll definitely be looking to utilise my Eero then.