cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from BT to EE changed our landline number - how to get it back?

Ali_C
Visitor

We changed from BT Broadband to EE Broadband on 29 Jan 2024.

We opted keep a landline so that elderly family members could continue to reach my wife and I.

The switch involved a change from PSTN to Digital Home Phone.

However in the process, they've changed our landline number, and our family can no longer call us. 📵

(The old BT contact was in my name. The new EE contact is in my wife's name. This was recommended by EE shop sales rep.)

Do you have experience / advice in how we can get the old landline number  back? 

8 REPLIES 8
Schockwave
Community Hero
Community Hero

Hello @Ali_C ,

Welcome to the community,

I would suggest speaking to customer service and see what they can do for you, otherwise the only other thing I can suggest, is to let your family know your new number, which they can write down or put in their phone if they have the opportunity to press one of the quick dial numbers, which most landline phones should have.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.
Paddy-B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Ali_C,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry you've lost your number and part of your move over to EE. If you send me your details, I'll take a look to see what can be done to get your number back.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  

Thanks,

Paddy

Lornam2
Investigator
Investigator

Paddy -B I'm in the same boat, got up and running at the end of January with what I was told would be my old landline number, but when I checked I have a new number and a non local area code. EE tried to get my number back but told me they can't do it, and I don't understand why. Can you advise me who to contact to try again?

Neil-O

Hi @Lornam2 Welcome to the community and thanks for posting, who was the number with previously and was this active when you transferred to EE? I'll send you a private message so you can get in touch with your details, I can't make any promises at the moment without looking into it further. 

Thanks

Neil

Hi, it was plusnet. I tried to put my account on hold but it wasn't possible so I had to cancel it.  I would have gone back to them but they don't do landlines now. Both plusnet and BT said my old number was still available.

I should add my account was closed for a year as a flood meant the house had to have major work done .

Neil-O

Hi @Lornam2 I'm afraid in this instance it won't be possible to get your number back, sorry. We have a 30-day window to move a stopped PSTN (Copper) landline number over to the digital home phone service. If it was stopped a year ago then it won't be possible. 

Neil

Lornam2
Investigator
Investigator

But if the number is still available, it hasn't been reallocated to someone else, then how is it not possible to give it back to me? It came from plusnet, who are BT?