cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet not connecting for around 30 seconds after pc boot

Invi
Investigator
Investigator

As the title says, My internet isn't connecting via ethernet for around 30 seconds after the PC first boots. It's not a major issue, more of an annoyance as any apps that need the internet for updates etc on first boot throw out error messages.

I've tried a different cable, updating and reinstalling ethernet drivers, tried a laptop, tried another pc, all have the same issues which leads me to believe its a router/configuration problem on the router end. 

Any help would be appreciated

8 REPLIES 8
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Invi   That’s how PCs work it needs time to make that connection as the PC is still starting up. 

chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Try a static IP and DNS?

With my Virgin media connection it connects straight away, there's no wait time, so that is untrue. 

I have tried this and no success

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

It could very well take 30 secs for a router to come fully online after a reboot of it but once it's online a PC should be able to connect to it within secs of its OS being loaded.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

The router isn't being rebooted, just the PC, however it takes the PC/Router a bout 30 seconds to recognise each other and give internet access

I was just pointing out that such a start-up timing might apply to a router but shouldn't to a PC. My Ethernet connected Windows PC once it has passed the BIOS load (whatever it's called) shows it's Ethernet connected to router more or less immediately on the initial Login screen (with the Monitor icon).

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Invi
Investigator
Investigator

Still no luck, tried everything that I can think of at this point