Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final Broadband bill

bletch
Investigator
Investigator

Hello everyone.

I'm leaving EE full fibre soon. They had emailed me in April to say my contract would end on 01 May 2022, I found a provider much cheaper so started the switch process. I did not contact EE about this as my new provider said they would handle everything at their end.

I was eventually given a switch over date but it wouldn't happen until the 05 May.

EE have sent me a letter saying they will send me a final bill for £6 for ending my contract early. That's fine, but a few days later, they've sent me my usual bill by email saying on the 16th May, £36 will be taken from my account.

Should I cancel the direct debit? I cant actually afford to pay the full amount as I've already paid my first bill to my new provider.

Thank you

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cancelling your DD before your final bill is not a good idea as it means they can't easily pay you back anything you are owed. 

It is always a bit of a balancing act when changing suppliers, as you pay in advance and so have to wait until the bills/rebate catch up. The good news though is you won't get your next bill from your new supplier until a month after you go live with them.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@bletch  The email bill is automatically generated and you’ll not be charged if you have left. 

Cancelling your DD before your final bill is not a good idea as it means they can't easily pay you back anything you are owed. 

It is always a bit of a balancing act when changing suppliers, as you pay in advance and so have to wait until the bills/rebate catch up. The good news though is you won't get your next bill from your new supplier until a month after you go live with them.

Chris, Mustrum - you've both been very helpful thank you!

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Thanks @bletch  glad we were able to help.

Hey guys 🙂

I'm back... and confused.

EE went ahead and charged me my normal monthly payment on the 16th May, £36.26.

But a few days earlier they sent an email saying this:

Your final bill is £ 3.51 .
As you pay by direct debit , we'll take your payment of £ 32.75 on or after 24 May 2022

I note the two amounts here add up to my normal monthly bill, so do they mean they will refund me £32.75? I really can't afford to pay another month on top of another month, I think I should cancel the debit?

Thank you

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hey @bletch  as you say, the the figures add up, you sure there is not a hidden - sign in there somewhere?

As per my first reply, if you cancel your dd they won't be able to refund you and the whole thing will take even longer to clear up.

HTH.

When did you migrate to your new ISP?

@bletch wrote:

Your final bill is £ 3.51 . ( = 3 days, presumably from your billing date of 3 May to when you migrated on 5 May inclusive)
As you pay by direct debit , we'll take your payment of £ 32.75 on or after 24 May 2022

The final sentence does not make sense. It should either be a refund of £32.75 or a payment of -£32.75.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@Mustrum . No '-' just a couple of spaces after the £ sign for both amounts, I cut & pasted the text into notepad to make sure. I don't want things to drag out longer than necessary so I'll leave the direct debit alone for now & hope it is a refund.

Yes @XRaySpeX , My EE contract ended on the 01 May but Plusnet didn't take over my line until the 4th. I hope you are right that they just messed up that final line 🙂

For what it's worth, I enjoyed my 18months with EE, never had any problems during my time with them,  At the end, they sent out a post paid bag so that I could return the router if I wanted so they could dispose of it properly. I'd recommend them to my friends.

Thanks again guys

Hey guys, just a quick update 🙂

It was indeed a refund of £32.75 and was paid back into my account yesterday.

Thank you 🙂