cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False broadband speeds

Lukejac
Investigator
Investigator

So I was sold a new broadband package and guaranteed a minimum of 41mbs (I know that is terrible but I live in Cornwall, UK) just did multiple speed checks and I'm getting 27. This isn't the 1st time it's been lower than promised. As I said to the guy on the phone the lines we have here are the same lines we had 5 years ago and will be until 2040 as that's when they are being changed to super fast broadband so why sell myself and anyone else in my area falsety? Money grab at its best as you've just bought out BT yet aren't upgrading the copper lines we have down here. Everyone loves to holiday in Cornwall but outside of the summer we're pretty much forgotten and that goes the same way with updating infrastructure. EE and BT surely make enough money to update the worst parts of the country which may aswell have dial up! Stop taking, start listening and start giving back !

7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Lukejac : EE is not guaranteeing speeds measured by speedtests. You should be looking at the sync speed reported by the router.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Strange as the speeds have always matched up before and they shouldn't "guarantee" this over the phone if it's not what we are able to see. 

How would I see my router sync speeds? as I'm trying but the smart hub 2 wont let me get to any type of admin control for the router!

@Lukejac  If you look on the back of the router you’ll see the admin password . 

Login to your router at http://192.168.1.254 with the admin password on the bottom of the label on the back of the router. Then go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information where you'll see your connection speeds.

What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for that. I am still correct though 8.8up and 38.1 down which is under the guarantee of 41mbs which is what package I pay for. 

After speaking to tech support I was correct in the speed checking as he did 7 whilst on the phone to me using they're speed checker and confirmed i shouldn't have been sold it as the estimate from BT was max 38 down as I told the guy who sold me the package and he said I wouldn't get above that and prob never have before which is correct.

Appreciate the help with the router sync speed check but he did say whilst talking to him today that they do use the DL and upload speeds to guarantee things not the router sync speeds.

Engineer coming on Friday to clarify this then new package and probably internet provider as EE have managed to balls up that and my pay dates so not a good start 

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & hope it soon gets sorted.

@Lukejac  Just to point out it’s still the same line if you change to a new BB provider that uses phone lines.  Your only real option is with Virgin media as they use their own lines.