cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE broadband constantly high latency on ethernet connection

Bo-oF
Contributor
Contributor

The upload latency is constantly over 200, hovering around 220 - 280ms. This makes gaming literally impossible. Openreach have checked the line and have found no faults, EE technitian also found no faults within the service. We recieved a new router but the problem still persists. I have tried using all different ethernet cables (all Cat5e) for each connection. The service was working fine until about 4 weeks ago. EE have stated that there is nothing more they can do and offered a free cancellation. I have never experienced this sort of problem with any other provider. I have tried the network under loaded and unloaded situations and the results are the same, as well as only 1  device on the network (ethernet connected pc). The computer is mid end (3600x, 5700xt) so there are no issues with hardware. The issue still happens over WiFi on all my devices. The speeds are exactly as advertised (100D 20U), as well as the download ping being normal (for uk servers 16ms - 20ms).

25 REPLIES 25
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @Bo-oF 

I am very sorry to hear this. 

I would suggest getting back in touch with our broadband tech team to see if they can offer any other solution for this and help you further. 

Leanne.

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Bo-oF - does the router you are using provide some indication of the amount of data uploaded/downloaded over a period of time? I'd be interested to know what that shows.

Is this only from a single device, or do all devices on the network exhibit the problem? How is your nework configured? Any additional access points/extenders, Powerline adapters etc. in play? 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings > System > DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.
  • For other routers: login to it according to the label on it as the admin user & navigate looking for its router/connection statistics.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

https://gyazo.com/c8086de987d28d794841ec7923219b82  It occurs on all devices on the network, through both 5ghz, 2.4ghz and ethernet (cat5e), changing the wifi channel or mode does not change anything. There are no extenders or access points, and the house does not have the capability to do power over ethernet.

This info will come out in the wash when you supply the router stats I requested.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Bo-oF  how and where are you seeing the high latency?

Looking at the stats you have provided so far it appears you have downloaded 126Gb in just over 40 hours.

Have you got something streaming high resolution video or similar on another machine when you see the high latency?

The high latency occurs during gaming, any server causes my ping to hover 220 - 280, on uk and eu servers. It is specifically the upload latency, it can be shown through and Ookla speed test as well as a fast.com speed test (shown below). For e.g, Escape From Tarkov, a game I play has a ping limit of 200, when playing online i constantly get disconnected, even on eu / uk servers. While freinds are completely fine. CS2 is quite literally unplayable, constant freezes when loading players in, freezing when shooting and counter strafing. It is not a hardware issue. 

https://gyazo.com/88539d5abe7825a5b4872b86b9858e25

https://gyazo.com/4dd1b80fcd6dd940fee5e2624e3ad07b

(Tests were NOT preformed at the same time)

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Bo-oF  that last link suggests congestion/high levels of traffic, guessing as you don't say taken when you were playing a game?

As a starter for ten, I would run a full anti virus scan, and a full Malwarebytes scan. 

But as everything else is OK maybe you need more bandwidth for the games you play - might be worth asking any others you know if they have the same or higher speeds?