cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Broadband renewal - Mistake, misinformation or lies?

MBEE
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

COOL STORY BRO! 😄 

Here goes...

My EE standard non-fibre broadband contract which has risen from £23 to £27 monthly over the last 2 years is up at the end of the month so I called in early last week to renew as it'll rise to £29 once I'm out of contract; I've been with EE / Orange for 16 years but the best they'd offer was the same as I was seeing under the current Summer sale online, which is standard fibre for £24 monthly or fibre plus for £26 monthly; they did offer me the first month free however. They agreed to call me back on the Friday whilst I gave it a thought but no one ever did.

Meantime, I got an email 2 days ago reminding me I'm about to go out of contract offering me renewal of my standard non-fibre broadband at £26 monthly or standard fibre at £31 monthly, no mention of fibre plus. Obviously these prices are nowhere near as good as I was offered previously so I ring back and get offered £24 fibre, £27 fibre plus (slightly higher and no free month offered this time) OR £21 standard non-fibre. I agree this last option with the agent as our standard non-fibre has been doing us fine all this time, still perfectly happy with it.

Agent then puts me on hold (not sure why), comes back on and tells me both his manager and indeed EE's systems are no longer letting him renew my standard non-fibre contract; very sorry and I should never have been offered it over the phone or email; I get told all this is because Openreach are actively trying to retire standard non-fibre connections in my area with a view to getting everyone onto fibre.

This strikes me as sales tactics, so I politely explain that being coerced into a 2 year fibre contract I neither need nor want doesn't sit well with me, especially given there's no EE fibre max in my area, whilst the very highly regarded Box broadband have already offered me 100mbps or 300mbps symmetrical FTTP at £20 and £23 monthly respectively (plus one whole year free to make up for any early exit fees should I need to break contract early with EE!), speeds which frankly wipe the floor with all the current EE offerings. I explain that at this point, I'm minded to simply allow my contract to run out and see what happens after month end as my current price will 'only' rise by £2. I'm betting Openreach aren't simply going to cut my non-fibre broadband off. Agent says he understands but there is nothing more he can do and suggests I watch for any further emails over the next couple of weeks which may provide some alternatives.

After the call, I have another look at my address on the EE online broadband checker and lo and behold, all special prices are gone, even though the Summer sale is still on at time of writing!

I guess if EE can't clarify and make this shambles right I'll be directing all this to Ofcom, as I was misinformed via both email and phone.

If anyone from EE Community Support wants to send me a PM and take this on, or arrange a callback for me, I'm all ears! 🙂

17 REPLIES 17
Mustrum
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@MBEE   if/when you do speak to them again it might be worth motioning than PN currently have an offer for standard 36Mbps fibre for £24.99 / month as you speak to them nicely. 😎

Also EE do SOGEA which is FTTC without the voice element which used to offer a £2/month saving on standard FTTC. 

Should be worth another call to the Broadband Care Team.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@Mustrum wrote:

Also EE do SOGEA which is FTTC without the voice element which used to offer a £2/month saving on standard FTTC. 

EE's advertised prices for fibre are for no landline services. With landline would be another £2.28 extra.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
MBEE
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

It was, in the end: managed to bag the original fibre plus at the £26 monthly which I'd seen the week before, with a month free to boot. I got rid of the landline and have just been sent a new Smart router (which I thought was for Fibre Max plans only but maybe not?).  Anyway, thanks all!

capture.JPG

Mustrum
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Great stuff @MBEE   thanks for letting us know, and glad you got a decent result.

EAM2
Explorer

I have the same problem - I've been an Orange/EE customer for years on Standard broadband which serves my needs adequately. Cost has gone up to £26.25 per month and I'm out of contract in about 5 weeks. When I go onto  Upgrade Plan , it says I have to go onto a Full Fibre plan FFTP. The cheapest option is for 100Mb (more than I require) foe £27 for EE mobile customer, which I'm not, or £30 for new customers, which I'm nt. There is no option for longstanding broadband customers! So, I went to an EE store to see what they could offer. Again, they said i would have to take a Full Fibre option and offered me the 100Mb.....for £35 per month! So much for customer loyalty. I guess I'm off to find a deal elsewhere.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@EAM2 : What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

EAM2_0-1687536450461.png

Hi

I had a Live Chat with EE - they can offer 100Mb for £30 per month, as per new customer.

I know FTTP is available - I just don't need it as I have no smart devices. The can also offer 36Mb for £27.

Time to look around elsewhere, I think

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

You should be able to get up to 80 Meg EE Fibre & Fibre + (FTTC/VDSL2) w/out Landline there.