cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Broadband High Latency

Jonjon1239
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

For the past week or so, I've been experiencing high and fluctuating latency when playing games online. For the best part of three years, EE Broadband has been reliable but Rocket League for example has been impossible to play with he variance in ping.

I contacted EE earlier, via text firstly who took forever in 'refreshing' my router. Between the text prompts and the actual refresh taking place, I managed to speak to someone on the phone who pretty much walked me through resetting my router and the mesh WiFi discs and the game settled for a while. The refresh then happened and it's been jittery again since.

Is there anything I can do? I'm on the 70MB plan as it's the best my property can get, and I've since set a static IP to my Xbox and placed it outside the DMZ to see if it improves. My Xbox Series X is connected to one of my mesh WiFi discs via ethernet, and for the most part only Rocket League seems to be affected. My ping usually ranged between 18ms and 60ms with the odd spikez whilst speedtest shows great results. Probably best to mention I play on EU servers too.

9 REPLIES 9
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Jonjon1239 

Welcome to the community.

It's strange that this only seems to be affecting the one game. Are you able to test it with an ethernet cable directly into the router?

Chris

Jonjon1239
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Yeah, Very strange. I have played on PC via a wired connection on Sunday and that was fine for 99% of the time. It just seems to be the Xbox via the smart disc that's the problem.

Obviously now and then I get lag in games but with Rocket League it is literally every other game with the ping fluctuating massively.

Christopher_G

When you're connected to an extender, you won't get as good a connection as you would directly to the router, @Jonjon1239

When you connected the PC, was that to the extender or straight into the router?
Chris

Jonjon1239
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I connect through a power line adaptor that has been working fine before this so I don't think it's that. I have an engineer booked to check tomorrow as I had a few disconnections of my WiFi this morning too.

Christopher_G

OK, let me know what happens with the engineer, @Jonjon1239. 🙂

Chris

Jonjon1239
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

So the engineers came this morning and changed the box that leads from the wall to the router aswell as crimped some wires in a separate box along the line in to my property, but I'm still experiencing a severe ping jitter well over 30ms.

Christopher_G

Thanks for the update, @Jonjon1239 

Did the engineer mention if there would be a settling period after changing the wires?
Chris

Jonjon1239
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

He didn't no, shall I leave it for a bit?

Christopher_G

Yeah maybe give it 24 hours and hopefully there's a bit of an improvement, @Jonjon1239 

Chris