cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital home phone

Graham-58
Investigator
Investigator

I've just set up an ee smart hub plus, which is working fine with all of my appliances.  I have a phone adapter, also provided, but I  would prefer to buy a new digital cordless phone to connect directly to the system.  Can I buy any digital phone or does it need to be a specific type?  And does it just connect to the hub or do I have to use the adaptor?

6 REPLIES 6
Storm500
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

There are only 2 DECT phones that connect to the base unit in the EE Smart Hub:

bt-advanced-digital-home-phone-with-alexa-built-in 

bt-essential-digital-home-phone 

You can register other DECT handsets but they will have only basic functions

@Storm500 : What DECT phones can be connected to the supplied adapter? I understood that any DECT phone could.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Storm500
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@XRaySpeX  Yes any DECT base station or wired phone can be connected to the phone socket in the hub or the DV adaptor and work as they did before.

But I wasn’t as clear as I could have been. Over on the BT community some people have reset their existing standard DECT handset and paired it directly with the DECT base in the BT SH2. You can make and receive calls but the advanced features don’t work. Eg you can’t access the contacts held in the SH2 only contacts held in the individual handset.

@Storm500 : So, just to be clear, the SH+'s phone socket & the DV adapter's socket are the same spec as the traditional BT phone socket & you can plug any DECT base station into them? That implies that it's a traditional analogue phone signal passing over them?

Are the 2 DECT phones you mention in your post of 07:03 PM slave DECTs that talk over GAP to a DECT base station within the router?

So it's really a matter of either:

1. Plugging a DECT base station, of which there are millions of models, into the router or adapter phone socket & connecting multi slave handsets to the base over GAP, OR
  2. Connecting a DECT slave handset, of which there only seem to be 2 compatible suppliers in UK, BT & Yealink to get full functionality, to the base in the router over GAP.

When the time comes I would only choose 1. & use my existing Panasonic DECT phones to have complete control of their functionality, like contacts & callers, intercom, ansaphone, SMS ...

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Storm500
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@XRaySpeX  In reply to you questions above:

“So, just to be clear, the SH+'s phone socket & the DV adapter's socket are the same spec as the traditional BT phone socket & you can plug any DECT base station into them? That implies that it's a traditional analogue phone signal passing over them?” —— YES

“Are the 2 DECT phones you mention in your post of 07:03 PM slave DECTs that talk over GAP to a DECT base station within the router?” —— YES

“So it's really a matter of either:

1. Plugging a DECT base station, of which there are millions of models, into the router or adapter phone socket & connecting multi slave handsets to the base over GAP,  —— YES
  2. Connecting a DECT slave handset, of which there only seem to be 2 compatible suppliers in UK, BT & Yealink to get full functionality, to the base in the router over GAP.”  —— YES, But the 2 BT phones I provided links to are for residential BT Digital Voice, where as the Yealink is for business BT  Cloud Voice. They are 2 different VOIP systems and work differently. Eg Digital Voice has to be used with the BT/EE hubs but Cloud Voice can be used with any router.
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks, @Storm500