cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing WAN port to LAN port

CLB9
Visitor

I've recently received a newer EE router replacing my old EE router. They both have all the same connections and layout, three LAN ports and a WAN port, with my old router i could use the WAN port as a LAN port. I can't find anywhere in the smart router manager to configure my new routers WAN port to be used as a 4th LAN port. Anyone able to help? 

3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

It may be marked WAN but it is auto-sensing between LAN & WAN.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

It isn't auto-sensing, is it?

I was under the impression that the Smart Router doesn't have a toggle for switching LAN4 operation, whereas the newer Smart Hub (2023) does. I'm not sure about the OG Smart Hub or anything prior to that but sounds like some of those may have had a similar option too.

If you need extra LAN ports @CLB9, might be worth looking at acquiring a cheap gigabit switch from somewhere. Options exist that you could power from the USB port on the Smart Router to save you having to take up another mains socket. 

DougMacp
Investigator
Investigator

I've got the same issue.   New white 'Smart' router sent to me as problems with the old Smart Hub  but now my Zappi hub is sitting there with no spare LAN to attach to as the WAN socket is unable to be switched to LAN. Also just found I can't separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. 

DougMacp_0-1713689403836.png

I'm guessing the WAN socket stays empty until approx 2027-ish when Openreach install FTTP?

Is it me or do EE/BT seem to take 1 step forward then 2 steps back again?

I'll need to sell it on eBay and at the same time buy an old Smart Hub. It's not exactly cutting edge technology when you end up scrabbling around on eBay buying & selling 2nd hand routers.

Thanks for idea of switch @bobpullen    - will consider and may also bit the bullet and look at purchasing a 3rd party router.

Really disappointed in EE.