cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband for an out building

Supermum
Investigator
Investigator

We built a room in our garden. I got Fibre broadband without a landline and a smart router hoping we would get a good signal in this garden room. We can get a signal but its not strong. Please can someone explain very simply how I can improve the wifi or whether I should change to Fibre plus would this help?

Connecting a cable would be very difficult.

4 REPLIES 4
Kirigaya_Kazuto
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

You can either use s Wifi extender or better yet a Mesh Wifi system

Wifi extender is the easiest way though - there are plenty on Amazon

WiFi Booster Range Extender | WiFi Extender Booster AC1200, 2022 Newest Wireless Repeater Internet B...

@Supermum  Hi and welcome to the forum. 

Upgrading your fibre package will not make your Wi-Fi go any further.

Much will depend on the distance and if you have mains in the building.

The ideal solution could be if you are able to run a LAN cable to the building, then you could install an Access Point. 

Or if you do have mains, there are Homeplug devices that will allow either a LAN or wireless signal to be extended to the building.

However they can be temperamental and can cause other problems.

Let us know some more details and we may be able to help with more information.

Thank you for your reply. Ideally, when we were building the garden room we should have thought about the internet and got an access point.

The room is 20 feet from the house and our internet Smart router is by the front door. Having a cable would be difficult to get to the room.

I'll try the internet boosters first, I think.

Would it make any difference if I moved the router to the furthest point into the house? It would only be the length of the ethernet cable?

Thank you for your reply and for providing details of what you mean. That's  exactly the help I needed,