cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone actually getting anywhere near 900MB?

djrobs33
Investigator
Investigator

Had the EE 900MB full fibre for nearly a year and have been really disappointed. Doesn't seem much better or more reliable than my previous 70MB on broadband.

Depending how you test, I seem to be getting at best 450MB - which by coincidence is their min level but half the prescribed speed. Many times it does more like 270-350MB. Is there any other industry where you pay for a service and they can legally provide only half?

Also the signal of the WIFI is awful. 

19 REPLIES 19
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@djrobs33  how are you testing your speeds and whith what device?

Aso which router do you have?

Many speed issues are down to the way tests are done or with equipment not capable of reaching the speeds of the router.

Hi,

I have used various tests including a LAN wired modern laptop.

Also  WIFI speed tests on my iphone.

What would you recommend?

Answering the questions with some detail would help to start.

Unless you have the latest WiFi6 router the most you can reasonably expect via WiFi is 400-450Mbps. Which Router do you have? And which iPhone?

Testing via via LAN needs to be done with a Cat5e or better cable and with a device that has at least a 1Gbps Network card and is connected at 1Gbps, and with no other processes running on the machine at the time, or no other devices connected to the router which could be streaming or backing up data to cloud based services.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You won't get full or reliable speeds out of WiFi. Testing over Ethernet is the only way to assess your BB speed. EE's estimated & guaranteed speeds are only in terms of that, not WiFi.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
GosforthUK
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Used to have BT FF900 for good 2 1/2 year now, and:

- LAN speed was in range of 850-930 Mbps down / 100-115 Mbps up constantly

- WiFi speed on BT SH2 was ridiculously slow, on better days up to 300, very rare up to 400-450 Mbps down.

This is down to 2 things:

BT SmartHub 2 (and EE Smart Hub) is the only WiFi 5 device, with a limited 5 Ghz band only effectively to 3 channels with 80 Mhz bandwidth.

Interference from neighbors up, down, left and right is at apartment building absolutely ridiculous, and limiting anything on basic WiFi bands, even with best routers, not alone with BT/EE router, which is fairy basic...

For this reason, almost entirely I had WiFi off on my BT SH2, and manage it on my own third party devices.

With WiFi6 omada Wall plate, my speed went up to 700-750 Mbps, which was acceptable...

Now, when I am on EE 1.6 Gbps package, I have 1.1-1.3 Gbps down and 100-120 Mbps up via EE Smart Hub Plus (2023) and 950-1000 Mbps down on very same Omada Wall Plate (recon, as this is on 1 Gbps LAN backbone and not capable to do anything over this).

Obviously, LAN via EE SHP (2023) is limited to 1 Gbps as well, but when directly connecting my Laptop with 2.5  Gbps LAN card to ONT and configured PPPoE, I got 1.6-1.7 Gbps, which is in line with the expectation. Once my backbone and Omada AP are upgraded, EE SHP (2023) will go under the bed to box, and I am pretty sure, as most of the time, will see 1.3+ Gbps down even on wifi, whilst this is now peak, what EE provided router can give me...

I have the white EE smart hub router - which seems the problem for the WIFI speed anyway if you are saying WIFI 5 only?

Yes, the white EE Smart Router is only WiFi-5. Don't expect good WiFi speeds from it. Only test speedtests over Eithernet.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
timprocter
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@djrobs33 

Right now I am in the process of joining the EE 1.6 Busiest Home Bundle package but my BT 900 / 110 account is still live as I type this.

WiFi speeds can be at very near the full speed of your package with the correct hardware and computer setup.

This is a TP-Link 5400 AXE75 Router with WiFi 6e enabled so in short you can improve your speed, This is WiFi not Ethernet.

TP-Link 5400 AXE75 WiFi 6e Router (youtube.com)

And this is my older Asus RT-AX88U alongside my iPhone 11 from January 2021 which was WiFi 6 only, Again this is WiFi not Ethernet.

WiFi-6 just gets better. Asus RT-AX88U & iPhone 11 Pro Max (youtube.com)

Point being it's all about the correct hardware and setup.

Full Fibre Busiest Home Bundle 1.6Gb.

@timprocter   re:

"And this is my older Asus RT-AX88U alongside my iPhone 11 from January 2021 which was WiFi 5 only, Again this is WiFi not Ethernet."

Both those items are WiFi6 although not 6e like your newer setup.