cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.6gb package doesnt work

LiamGreenwoodEE
Visitor

I upgraded from BT 900mbps service to the fantastic advertised 1.6gb service with priority gaming and work mode. After several phone calls and engineer visits the problem is still not resolved. This service is not fully supported. I have been told by EE that testing cannot be done above 1000mbps therefore unable to accurately troubleshoot. Apparently Ethernet cables are unable to transfer more than 1000mbps and if we reset the router in the first 30 days you can continue to have network issues for a further 30 days. My main issue was we have multiple consoles in the house and they will not connect properly. Having Nat type issues. Upnp not successful. On strict and moderate nat types. I have tried every possible fix on both Microsoft and Bt/EE advice to no avail. The end resolution was to cancel my package and move back to the 900mbps package with BT as its more reliable. So my question is I am yet to be compensated for this awful service I've had and complete lack of connectivity. And why is BT/EE offering a service that is not fit for purpose. Its false advertisement. I work from home and deal with vulnerable customers myself. I have had to work from office to prevent calls dropping. This 1.6gb service does not work, even the sales representatives said to me he doesn't proactively offer it to customers because of these known issues. With a take it if you want it but it's your risk approach. Woeful service. 

5 REPLIES 5
GosforthUK
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@LiamGreenwoodEE slightly confused by a few points You mentioned...

Even CAT5e cable (which is supplied by EE with their EE Smart Hub Plus) is perfectly capable of dealing with 1.6 Gbps traffic, not to say, that any CAT6, CAT6A or CAT8.1 cables will be sufficient, as long as You don't need to run long distances.

In a domestic environment, say CAT6A is more than sufficient, whilst its maximum length it's 100m with 10GBASE-T which means up to 10 Gbps  (with CAT6 it will be only 55m for 10 Gbps). CAT8.1 cable will have a maximum lenght 24m for 25 Gbps, respectively 40 Gbps.

I have run CAT8.1 cables between ONT and router, and all 2.5 Gbps links, and CAT6A for links with 1 Gbps, and it's fully working with 1.6 Gbps EE BB (in fact, I have like 5-20x overhead spare on cables 🙂 and it's total overkill...

You mentioned, that there is no way to test over 1 Gbps... Any 2.5 Gbps to USB3 adapter will solve it (and it's cost like 25 to 40 quid), not to say, as myEE app itself, it's perfectly capable of measuring speed to ONT. As OpenReach engineers don't have more than 1 Gbps LAN on their laptops, doesn't mean, that OR or EE is not able to measure or test your line. Pure BS.

Reset of the router is a valid reason for trouble ONLY for previous FTTC, not in any possible way for FTTP. Whilst older FTTC Broadband (Fibre to the Cabinet - than cooper to your home) was sensitive to reset/restart of router, which indicates possible trouble on the line, and You might lose negotiated speed), on opposite is FTTP (Fibre to the Premises - full fibre to your home, terminated in ONT), where you simply have your negotiated line and restart/reset of EE router not really have anything with it...

You can't have 1.6 Gbps package on FTTC, only on FTTP, a.k.a. FULL FIBRE, and OpenReach needs to swap your ONT to a new model if you have only 1 Gbps LAN port on your old ONT, which in fact it's like 5 minutes job...

I have 70+ different devices connected to my WiFi and no problem at all (and I running my router BEHIND EE Smart Hub Plus, which means double NAT), having 1688 / 113 Mbps speed to the ONT.

That said.. 1.6 Gbps package IS WORKING, it's just somehow rushed, and there are teething problems, more importantly, not all EE "Guides" on the phone are capable of dealing with this package, and evidently spreading confusion instead...

GosforthUK
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Actually, this is measured with MyEE app just few moments ago:

1000047227.jpg

GosforthUK
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Please note, my final device has 922/114 because it's connected to WiFi AP, which has limit of 1 Gbps backhaul, means, in fact, it's a very good result be fair...

yeah that's because ee routers wont out put more than 1gbps as they don't offer 2.5 yet  my speed is 1700 but onlys puts out 980 on Ethernet ,not tried wifi yet might get a better speed as that puts out a full speed 

makes you laught download spped met no it hasnt my speed is 1300 and your crappy router cant out put it lol