cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Web pages intermittently not loading

sk15Kev
Contributor
Contributor

Very new to having the 5GEE router, although we only get 4G in our area.

Generally happy with it, but occasionally web pages fail to load like there is no internet connection and it comes back about a minute later.
I know the internet had not gone down as I am on a video call at the time. 

It is just annoying when you may be doing a financial transaction or a purchase and it seems to just not be connected at all.
This does happen with any type of web page and does also happen with things like BBC news.  When it does happen it affects all browser tabs and not just the one particular site.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @sk15Kev

Welcome to the community. 🙂

Does this happen on more than one device? Which device(s) are you using?

Chris

Happens on Windows laptops.
Haven't seen it on any of the apple devices yet.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Could you try on the Apple devices to see if it's the same please, @sk15Kev?

Thanks 🙂

Chris

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @sk15Kev ,

Does this happen when no video call is in progress as video traffic should be prioritized over web browsing to avoid a choppy experience?

Does the issue occur if you are able to cable directly to the router?

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

Apple devices are used fairly regular and not seen it.

Hi @sk15Kev ,

Using fast.com and speedtest.net, you can compare the latency/ping measurements on the Windows 10 laptop as compared to the Apple devices.

To confirm the issue is real, the latency would be expected to be higher on the Windows 10 laptop as compared to the Apple device.

It's probably worthwhile ensuring the Windows 10 laptop is not in some power-saving or underclocked mode so you should probably plug it in.

A comparison with an Apple laptop would be more worthwhile as mobile devices will have lighter load on the network and load lighter mobile pages.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM

Thank you - will try it
Funnily enough just had it on the Mac

Although this never happened on the windows devices prior to starting to use the 4GEE Wifi

Very strange.

Devices right next to each other

Windows laptop
Download 8.5Mbps, with latency unloaded 36ms, loaded 1.1s.  Upload 9.6Mbps
IPad
Download 22Mbps, with latency unloaded 38ms, loaded 339ms.  Upload 11Mbps

However I run the same test again 10 minutes later.

Windows laptop
Download 16Mbps, with latency unloaded 40ms, loaded 647ms.  Upload 12Mbps
IPad
Download 18Mbps, with latency unloaded 0ms, loaded 311ms.  Upload 12Mbps

If I take the devices to another room then they can run a lot faster, but for testing purposes I kept them in the same location

What am I supposed to make of that?

Hi @sk15Kev ,

If you see the same slow loading on multiple resets of the router, in multiple browsers, and on multiple devices, you would probably need to try also either a phone WiFi hotspot or a neighbour's internet access to rule out your devices.

The synthetic unloaded latencies shown do not explain the symptoms with 30 ms as normal and as high as 60 ms as reasonable. Even loaded as high as 1.1 s would not be relevant if the symptoms do not correlate with downloads.

Your only hope would be to isolate the problem as correlating with something and it's mostly the Windows 10 laptop so you may wish to keep taskman open to see if the issue correlates with a spike in disk I/O, or heavy RAM, CPU, or network usage.

There might be some running process or program contributing to the latency such as perhaps a virus scanner or other security software. Good luck!

The only slight clue here is that the iPad loaded latency is very good at sub 400 ms so it may be connecting via a superior protocol.

--