cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Unlocking iPhone 11

KRoy1
Explorer

Hi

I am now 23 months in my contract and my iPhone 11 is still locked to EE. However on ee website I found these details :

“iPads, iPhones and Google Pixel phones will also unlock automatically - for free - after a certain amount of
time:
an iPad or iPhone - 18 months after it was sold (or after it was dispatched, if it was a replacement)”

on contacting the customer care they said even though you are in last month of your contract there is no free unlocking and it will be charged and added to your next month bill. 

please help. 

the phone was bought by metro phone. 

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@KRoy1  You didn’t get it from EE so why would EE do it from free. You’ve not gave them the money for the device so they’ll not do it for free just yet.  

its very poorly worded as it says nothing about having to come from EE to be eligible for this 18 month rule.   So you could try and argue that.  

Thanks for your response but I have already paid by 24th bill. They are still refusing to unlock. 

my contract end on 02-Dec and the last bill that I have already paid covers for period of 03-Nov till 03-Dec. 

@KRoy1  But your contract isn’t finished.  It’s free when it’s finished.  

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@KRoy1 wrote:

the phone was bought by metro phone

is the salient point. EE will always charge for unlocking devices not bought directly from EE, even when the min. contract term has expired.

To unlock an EE device not bought directly from EE you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)